Unvanquished Perk System :D (please read all)

Request new features or present your ideas.
Jaroth

Re: Unvanquished Perk System :D (please read all)

Post by Jaroth »

by "only" i mean i you are ok with this kind of game, if not well nothing happens ok?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

It is an interesting idea. Perhaps we can revisit a similar concept once we start implementing our larger gameplay changes.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Jaroth wrote:

The rant will not have that perk, only if you accept this improvement...

In other words, if i reject this perk, i will get the glass cannon rant perk?

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Jaroth

Post by Jaroth »

If you want, let´s make to the rant a perk or not, you just decide, im giving you the idea

EckleckLighat
Dretch

Post by EckleckLighat »

I think you guys (the developers, not everyone in this thread) need to be more bold. I understand that you're worried about balance issues, but the game is still in alpha - you can afford to screw up the balance. It's best to get these things tested and tweaked while the player base is next to nonexistant, and not when it's nearing a stable release.

Try things out. If they don't work, identify what's wrong, and fix it. If it can't be fixed, scrap it and try the next one.

• Eck
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

There's a distinction between being bold and making extremely awkward gameplay changes just for the sake of change. A bold step might be to make a properly designed alien class or weapon and test it carefully. I don't think "vampire mode" or any other suggestion in this thread is a good idea. They come off as the sort of silly things you'd find on some sort of "fun" server like Unlimited BP or X. We have different standards.

I understand you might be frustrated that we turn down many suggestions, but that doesn't mean we ignore them. We do read and respond to things, unless someone replies to a thread with something we'd have said anyway. Personally, I think people need to stop recycling ideas from other games. We are not Call of Duty, Starcraft, Gears of War, Fallout, or whatever other popular series that people keep mentioning they want the game to be just like. At the moment, we are still in the phase where we're working out our own style and proceeding cautiously.

Surprisingly enough, game design looks much more different when you're involved with developing it. There are easy decisions, and then there are hard decisions. Blatantly borrowed and/or poorly thought out ideas can be easily discarded. Give us something that challenges us as game designers. Take the extra step and make a coherent idea that hasn't been implemented anywhere else. Show us an idea you put a lot of thought into, which addresses more than just "make this game more like that game", and then we'll see. We want hard decisions, ones that elicit debate between developers and the community. That's how we're going to move forward.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

kharnov wrote:

There's a distinction between being bold and making extremely awkward gameplay changes just for the sake of change. A bold step might be to make a properly designed alien class or weapon and test it carefully. I don't think "vampire mode" or any other suggestion in this thread is a good idea. They come off as the sort of silly things you'd find on some sort of "fun" server like Unlimited BP or X. We have different standards.

I understand you might be frustrated that we turn down many suggestions, but that doesn't mean we ignore them. We do read and respond to things, unless someone replies to a thread with something we'd have said anyway. Personally, I think people need to stop recycling ideas from other games. We are not Call of Duty, Starcraft, Gears of War, Fallout, or whatever other popular series that people keep mentioning they want the game to be just like. At the moment, we are still in the phase where we're working out our own style and proceeding cautiously.

Surprisingly enough, game design looks much more different when you're involved with developing it. There are easy decisions, and then there are hard decisions. Blatantly borrowed and/or poorly thought out ideas can be easily discarded. Give us something that challenges us as game designers. Take the extra step and make a coherent idea that hasn't been implemented anywhere else. Show us an idea you put a lot of thought into, which addresses more than just "make this game more like that game", and then we'll see. We want hard decisions, ones that elicit debate between developers and the community. That's how we're going to move forward.

slow clap

Whales
Dretch

Post by Whales »

kharnov wrote:

I'd like to expand on this a little bit.

This sentiment from kharnov is not an attitude that is unique to the Unv developers; this is how any and all game designers think.
Games share elements and ideas not because developers clone ideas from other games, but rather because similar ideas come from within the design group that another group of designers may have also thought of.
Call of Duty has perks because the developers thought it would be better for the game, not because they saw it in Fallout.

Game design is not about "I like this game and this game so I'm just going to combine them".
Game design is about creating a unique and enjoyable experience that represents the vision of an individual or group of designers.

I had more typed out here, but I've deleted it as it was very rude.

Really though, please give some thought about what you post. Don't look for the easy solution. Think about how changes will extend beyond the one situation you're intending.
Think about ideas that are realistic with the limitations that the team is working with.

Really, just think. Please.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

So guys lets make CoD but with aliens.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

StalKermit wrote:

So guys lets make CoD but with aliens.

Whales wrote:

Game design is not about "I like this game and this game so I'm just going to combine them".
Game design is about creating a unique and enjoyable experience that represents the vision of an individual or group of designers.

Really, just think. Please.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage