Gameplay elements

Request new features or present your ideas.
JBiscuitz
Mantis

Re: Gameplay elements

Post by JBiscuitz »

.Very good idea phoenix. The idea of a low incentive to kill and a high incentive for map/resource control would not only encourage building but increase the rts mechanic. As a separate mode from deathmatch i could see this type of game being very populated.

Perhaps when an area is farmed humans/aliens get not only creds/evos but it would be the way to move up on stages. So say when 1 dp is being harvested a very very slow climb to s2 begins but as more areas are harvested the speed to get there increases. Once s3 is hit, resources are mostly useful for dividing creds/evo amongst team. This would mean that half the game is map control to get to s3 and the other half is base destroy once the team gets there.

Very interesting stuff....

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

completely ignored :'(
QUOTE=JBiscuitz;2029]This would mean that half the game is map control to get to s3 and the other half is base destroy once the team gets there.
[/QUOTE]

Majority of tremulous gameplay works that way anyway, except stages aren't as important.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

UniqPhoeniX wrote:

So let the mapper add domination points (DPs, preferably 8+ total) to potential base locations which give a certain amount of resources to the team that controls them. The amount of resources should be adjustable by the mapper to balance out different locations (i.e. locations that favour humans give more resources to aliens and less to humans, and vice versa) so players wouldn't avoid the less favourable locations, thus making the games more varied.

Domination allowed for server owners to make their own layouts. This would be better so that people can tweak the settings for better balance without bothering the map maker too much.

I would like this idea to be implemented! Sounds good!

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

UniqPhoeniX

Post by UniqPhoeniX »

E-Mxp wrote:

Domination allowed for server owners to make their own layouts. This would be better so that people can tweak the settings for better balance without bothering the map maker too much.

UniqPhoeniX wrote:

...The advantages given for map-control should depend on the map / layout...

Ofc, it should be possible to change it the same way as buildables in layouts.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Oh you found the arcade mod site :D
edit: I forgot to say, its repo is on github as well, it was like last updated 2009 but oh well.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Comet

Post by Comet »

Hey good ideas guys! While we are making these domination games we should rename the game to Total Erection 2 and make a gay commander do all the building for the team!

Yeah, but in all seriousness these are my suggestions. - Which are way more reasonable than doing these silly domination points etc...- Camping really isn't a problem in Tremulous at all. I rarely see hard camping and when I do it is obvious that team is going to lose. Camping is essentially saying, "We are losing. You guys just tore us a new anus so we have to put some cream on it." Here is why camping is okay:

1. Camping at s1 is impossible for both races, especially humans if unv devs have similar turret AI.
  2. Once s2 is achieved you can poke with grenades/zaps/snipes all you want making the other team have to constantly scramble to build and repair.
  3. Forward bases make it impossible for the enemy to leave, forcing them to camp and take the horrible beating.

In my opinion, aliens do fine against camping humans. What humans really need is a more reliable/reusable bunker buster that isn't massive amounts of grenades stacked on eachother. Or... Instead of that, I feel like forward bases need to be more of a threat because as of now, a forward base is usually just a spawn and an armoury or an acid tube. There really is no threat there at all. I would like to see the implementation of more aggresive building styles/buildings. Such as a human building that removes all creep in the vicinity. Making it a huge threat and possibly being able to kill all alien defensive structures that are keeping their asses alive. This forces the other team to go offensive or risk losing massive amounts of buildings and bp. It also doesn't change the overall gameplay and creates successfully creates a whole new threat known as the builder.

That was my 2 cents, feel free to hate. <3

UniqPhoeniX

Post by UniqPhoeniX »

None of the devs want a commander afaik, nor do I. <insert random mocking & insults here>

I'm not sure what game you have been playing, but campers in Tremulous can easily win unless they absolutely never attack. Camping gives a huge advantage, AND it makes the game boring for the other team.

1. Camping at s1 as humans gives tons of credits and s2 if aliens attack, or stalls the game if they don't.
  2. Camping still gives more credits. If your team is not a bunch of feeders, and the other team is attacking, camping until they are poor is the best strategy. If the other team is not stupid and avoids feeding, the game will stall.
  3. The beating is not in any way horrible once your entire team is chainsuits/goons/rants and the other team is poor.

Forward bases can only be a threat if there are players attacking from it... A building that attacks based on distance alone will work through walls and thus break many maps and limit mappers.

Noobs who will never attack, even when they are full are not the only ones who camp. In Tremulous if you want to win, sometimes camping is what you should be doing.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Comet wrote:

There really is no threat there at all. I would like to see the implementation of more aggresive building styles/buildings. Such as a human building that removes all creep in the vicinity. Making it a huge threat and possibly being able to kill all alien defensive structures that are keeping their asses alive. This forces the other team to go offensive or risk losing massive amounts of buildings and bp. It also doesn't change the overall gameplay and creates successfully creates a whole new threat known as the builder.

... or you can just shoot at the eggs?

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

kharnov wrote:

... or you can just shoot at the eggs?

But I need my precious ammo for killwhoring :(

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT