Quick ideas and small suggestions

Request new features or present your ideas.
Comet_
Mantis

Re: Quick ideas and small suggestions

Post by Comet_ »

Creating a game is tons of work. Especially creating one with input from an already existing community. Ideas are great for developement and the more concise and refined your ideas become the less iterations you have to make on a game, theoretically. There are few active devs on this game than many because of the free-to-play roots and putting consistent effort into a side project that has little reward for over 3 years is very difficult. Instead of getting unnecessarily upset, write and compile the code for a change yourself and suggest it with the code ready for implementation or start paying the devs to do so.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

more work less talking please

They actually did a titanic amount of under-the-hood work (upgrading to modern C++ programming language, the port of the mod system from the ancient Quake C to Google PNaCl and modern C++, the port from the UI library inherited from Quake to the modern HTML-based librocket, component-based entity model, automatic crash reporting, the new automatic updater).

It's not that they just talk and don't work, it's that they aren't prioritizing what's actually important, the gameplay: the game is pretty broken at low player counts (you have to play so defensively and carefully it's not fun at all, and you can't build properly because you can't defend yourself while your structures are being built), there's nothing for the players to do while waiting for someone to connect (bots that build or even just some form of a human players vs. bots mode, just like the old training server, but with bots having a fallback movement behavior and a respawn timer for when they get stuck).

You can have the most beautiful code base in the world, but players will leave if they aren't having fun.

Bluefire

Post by Bluefire »

Launcher: Make something like world of tank, robocraft, to run the game.
The launcher tell you about update, (internet link) and can download missing files if your game is corrupted.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Have the drill require a repeater built within a certain radius to operate. It's a little too "OP" at the moment how it can be built just anywhere.

comanderkeen23

Post by comanderkeen23 »

OK I'm a newbie with no reputation whom just started playing Unvanquished, but I have a simple idea to boost player counts. Why not launch a Google Adwords campaign? Lets collect some money and make unvanquished popular. I am willing to offer a 30 EUR donation for the moment.

Just an idea, i really love this game and it would be a shame if it faded away just like Tremulous did.

EDIT:

OK I had a Talk with Kharnov in the Unvanquished IRC Channel and he told me there is already a plan for Advertising when the Project enters Beta Stage - stupid me, I should have known that beforehand!

My offer, however still stands, I will chip in some money to fund Advertising.

Cheers!

RaptorHunter182

Post by RaptorHunter182 »

Humans vs Humans team death match

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

For reference I'm in favor of dretch being able to attack telenode for the sole reason a lone player spawning as dretch on an empty server must be able to win the game.

By the way a lone alien player on empty server can spawn as granger to attack telenode once he wiped out turrets with dretch, but we all say granger is not an attack class, an I don't like requiring the player to die first to be able to win, so even if “a lone player must be able to win the game” condition is verified, I'm not against giving that power to dretch too. Of course, gameplay may be adjusted to counterweight the fact the dretch class is a kind of free infinite-ammo weapon that does not requires to aim.

The fact is: against structures dretch is overpowered, we have to take that in account and that's probably why telenode is currently not destroyable by dretch and why gpp even disabled dretch to attack defense structure (which was breaking the “a lone player must be able to win the game” rule first).

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

GORE wrote:

An idea is to make smg preventing the egg to spawn units.

If I'm right just sitting on the egg makes it unable to spawn units.

Another thing, make adv marauder immune against rc electric.

Even if it can sound more “realistic” since adv marauder can generate electricity itself, an adv marauder immune to RC self defense sounds over powered to me. Skilled adv marauder player can already be very efficient at wiping human base…

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

illwieckz wrote:

If I'm right just sitting on the egg makes it unable to spawn units.

Yes.

illwieckz wrote:

Even if it can sound more “realistic” since adv marauder can generate electricity itself, an adv marauder immune to RC self defense sounds over powered to me. Skilled adv marauder player can already be very efficient at wiping human base…

Indeed.