Quick ideas and small suggestions

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Quick ideas and small suggestions

Post by Viech »

If you don't plan to put some effort into explaining in detail what your idea is, why it's worthwhile to pursue and how it could fit into the game but just want to throw out some quick thoughts this thread is for you.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

poVoq
Mantis

Re: Quick ideas and small suggestions

Post by poVoq »

Yay, a honey-pot thread to collect spam posts :p

Here is mine:

• cloaking skill with placeable bombs that damage structures (like in Savage2).
aliencat

Post by aliencat »

So basically the TF2 spy that works as the TF2 demoman? Or wait, the spy have a sapper or something that does something similar.

Hmm a suggestion? Well I am very fond of TF2, I would like to see some open source alternative to it but I do not think Unvanquished is that game. This need to be an unique game that plays like nothing else. I have no idea how to do that however.

A random suggestion then: skinned players. I think it already is possible in this game.

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

No not as in TF2, but as in actual invisibility, or near invisibility with a very transparent shader as a skin, or one that only becomes slightly visible if the player moves. Think Predator cloaking like.

Have that as a upgrade like a jet-pack, and make it usable only for a relatively short duration with a certain cool-down. Maybe have the duration count down only if moving? Something like that.

Combined with the ability to place time-bombs that do heavy damage to structures, it is a very fun game mechanic (see Savage2).

The aliens of course need something similar, or at least equally damaging to buildings. A self-destruct alien like discussed before might be a good option, or maybe one that can disguise itself as furniture? :D

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

poVoq wrote:

Nnear invisibility with a very transparent shader as a skin, or one that only becomes slightly visible if the player moves. Think Predator cloaking like.

Not going to work in a competitive multiplayer. You can never tell if someone has good sight, good settings or good cheats.

Either way I don't think we'll want cloaked base attacks as that forces you to leave a defender behind even on maps with a simple layout. (Except if there are also detectors and visibility plays a generally big role in the gameplay but I don't think Unvanquished is suited for that.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Make base structures more powerful but have them respond only to attacks on base, so if you ignore structures and only attack players, the structures will ignore you, that'll stop camping.

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

lamefun wrote:

Make base structures more powerful but have them respond only to attacks on base, so if you ignore structures and only attack players, the structures will ignore you, that'll stop camping.

Then players could walk in with dretches and sit on the spawn points.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Why would acid tubes or turrets only attack certain targets and ignore others?

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

kharnov wrote:

Why would acid tubes or turrets only attack certain targets and ignore others?

For gameplay reasons, the same reason why 1 HP aliens can still attack and jump as if they were uninjured and yet touching a little fire kills them instantly, and the same reason why humans can stand on top of turrets despite there being nothing to stand on. Don't give it much thought.

Lecavalier~
Dretch
Clan: Pk, Formerly DSPro

Post by Lecavalier~ »

A "three stars of the game" or "Top player" award at the end of each game. it would be decided by be voted by the players. Or by some kind of score, but that seems like less fun. It could be another fun stat to track and also give players recognition they may not otherwise receive.

Or maybe a regular poll option that would allow voting for any player. Someone could just call it if they wanted to at the end of the game.

Just another drunken rambling quick idea/small suggestion.