Game modifier: modular totems

Request new features or present your ideas.
lamefun
Tyrant

Game modifier: modular totems

Post by lamefun »

The current game mode is getting pretty stale. I mean, it's the same thing over and over and over again, it's just the maps that change. There's little to discover. I think the game needs more interesting and fun effects. So, here's my idea:

Each side can build a single totem pole that can accommodate 3 idols. Every so often, an idol will spawn in a random place. Idols float above the ground and, when touched by a player, attach themselves to the player with a visible energy link and keep following until that player is killed or moves too far away. There should ever be only one free-floating idol on the map at any given time. There also should never be two idols of the same type present at any given moment, but if an idol is destroyed another idol of its type can spawn later.

Idols have 400 HP, but regenerate rapidly. There are two types of idols: plant idols that affect structures and animal idols that affect players.

Idols automatically attach themselves to totem poles if when they are close enough to each other. The only way to remove an idol from a pole is by destroying the idol. Totem poles with idols on them should be indestructible and impossible to deconstruct, but should be able to be moved, complete with the idols, just like the reactor and the overmind can be moved.

Idol examples:

• Bat
    Humans: natural echolocation (free radar effect).
    Aliens: kills heal.

• White Dove
    Humans: virtue pays out (you can fully heal your team mate with your medkit and it partially heals you as well).
    Aliens: divine retribution (humans lose karma when they bleed other humans or human structures, the less karma you have, the fewer credits you get, karma can be re-gained by killing aliens and their structures).

• Cactus
    Humans: flexible requirements (structures scale down in utility when low on power instead of shutting down completely).
    Aliens: structures don't need creep.

Last edited by lamefun on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: Game modifier: modular totems

Post by Ishq »

Very imaginative suggestion! I'm not sure how well it fits though...

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Just say it's an ancient Mayan technology and you're good. For example, Metroid has gift-giving bird statues and evil crayfish, but people still don't consider it bad because of it.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

:bugeyes: