Fixing the tyrant

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Fixing the tyrant

Post by Viech »

Lecavalier~ wrote:

Edit: didn't realize this was an old thread, have there been any changes since it was made?

The Tyrant should still be the same as three months ago.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

@Gireen would you know how to make the tyrant having a large splash damage with primary attack so we can investigate if that improves the tyrant play or not? The idea is the the tyrant would require the average aim of the shotgun, not the very precise aim of the mass driver.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Current settings are

Code: Select all

clawDmg 100
clawRange 100.0
clawWidth 14.0
clawHeight 20.0
We could increase the clawWidth and Height. And maybe reducing clawDmg. That way its easier to hit but doesnt becomes op for pros.

fear ma engrish :granger:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Ah yes, I now remember a talk about that on IRC:
2021-03-20 18:37:53 +0100 <freem_> Gireen_: do you think you could try to put tyrant's clawHeight at 40 on experimental server?
2021-03-20 18:38:22 +0100 <illwieckz> I was going to ask the same for Gireen experimental server and clawHeight 40

2021-03-20 18:42:12 +0100 <illwieckz> clawHeight 30 is probably enough

2021-03-20 18:45:10 +0100 <illwieckz> 40 is a good perceptual value
The idea was to only modify the clawHeight, meaning the player would still have to aim on the horizontal plane, but less on the vertical plane. It also fits the design of the model: a swipe is expected to have effect on a large vertical range, and then not doing it break the immersion. On my end the value of 40 was selected as being large enough in the vertical dimension to give the related feeling of a beast that only requires to aim on the horizontal plane, while still being above usual creeps like acid tubes on the floor to not kill them by mistake when aiming at standing human bodies.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Also it would help to destroy turrets by looking a bit down without looking at tyrant's feet. Especially since the beast has 8 eyes so it does not make sense for the player to have to put everything else outside of his point of view by focusing on the floor to attack a turret such a beast should not even have to aim at.

15 years after Tremulous I'm still missing turrets when playing tyrants because I can't prevent my mind to think I'm playing a huge beast, which is true in fact.

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

Here's a suggestion on how the hitboxes could look like.
Yellow hitbox is pointed at crosshair. Blue one moves vertically slightly up and down when aiming at ceiling/floor (to be able to hit enemies on top of head and at feet easily).

The blue hitbox is basically how melee works in Savage XR:
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

That's only how it works for the tyrant charge.
The wider the area of an attack the less damage it should deal. The claw needs aiming and deals much damage compared to the charge which hits everything in front but is not that strong.

fear ma engrish :granger: