Edit some stuff in game.

Request new features or present your ideas.
illwieckz
Project Head

Edit some stuff in game.

Post by illwieckz »

You know, there is two way to define the layout, in the entity definition file embedded in the bsp, and in an external layout file that can be created in game then saved.

So, I have some ideas…

• Externalize the builtin layout, for example the default layout will be named like /layouts/mapname/default.layout

• Enable the loading of a map that does not have the required entities (with a special switch like -edit) like the intermissions entities.

• Disable the ending of a game if spawn are missings (same switch)

• Allow a roll movement when using the -edit switch with -noclip

So, you just have to crate a map without intermission entities and without buildings, then you run daemon +devmap mapname +noclip +edit, it automatically disables the end trigger, spawns you somewhere floating in the map, and allows extra movements for wall/ceiling building. Then, you build, save the layout and put it in your pk3. :thumbup:

Also, I have the idea of some objects that could have a special state depending on the layout. For example a door which is locked in a layout and unlocked in another, or some lights that can be switched on/switched off depending of the layout (only doable with real time lights). With an -edit mode, we can imagine switching theses states in game then save the layout. So, a same large map will be loadable with different scenarii, not only changing spawn places, but changing some game logic like “which corridors are usable or which rooms are available”. :thumbup:

Last edited by illwieckz on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Tom
Dragoon

Re: Edit some stuff in game.

Post by Tom »

illwieckz wrote:

[...] So, a same large map will be loadable with different scenarii, not only changing spawn places, but changing some game logic like “which corridors are usable or which rooms are available”. :thumbup:

This.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I totally agree with your propsal, I actually had the same in mind (though I didn't consider the roll movement thing, good catch). It should be worth noting that adding buildables in radiant is a pain in the ass, too. This boils down to someone just implementing it, I'd add it without second thought. Another thing I'd like to have would be multiple default layouts with one picked at random if none was specified.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

I strongly +1 this idea. I think a good way to go would be too remove support for building and intermission entities in the map format so that maps come empty. If a map is empty (or layout "none" is loaded) then the game goes in edit mode.

I think it would even make a good starter project for someone, and reworking current maps to use that would be a matter of using illwieckz fancy bsp-cutter (I think?)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

kangz wrote:

I think it would even make a good starter project for someone, and reworking current maps to use that would be a matter of using illwieckz fancy bsp-cutter (I think?)

Good idea.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction