Damage indicators

Request new features or present your ideas.
lamefun
Tyrant

Damage indicators

Post by lamefun »

Natural Selection 2 shows how much damage you deal (like -90, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2EINsiGaqw).

This might help new aliens players to figure out how helpful headshots are, and might improve human morale.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Damage indicators

Post by Viech »

I'm ambiguous about this. It's helpful but it can turn out to look arcade-ish. It also needs to be done well otherwise it'll add more clutter to the HUD.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

As if the beacon system itself doesn't look arcade-y? :tongue:

I think damage counts are a good idea.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The beacons need to be serverly reduced/improved, too.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

If it can be disabled in settings menu then why not.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Tom wrote:

If it can be disabled in settings menu then why not.

Implementing subpar features with the excuse to allow disabling them leads to a complexity that we as developers can't control anymore. Think of regression bugs in features that are never actually tested by anyone on the team. I'm actually in favor of removing features that aren't so good that nearly everyone would want to use them.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

I understand your point, but will this not reduce the possibilities to customize the game?

For example most players like to play with a gun displayed on the screen – not me. Perhaps a majority like motion blur and head bobbing – not me. Imposing me those choices would make me stop playing.

OK examples I cited can be related to medical conditions such as nausea and motion sickness while the proposal of lamefun is of cosmetic nature.