Bring back the old layout / maps to the Training Server

Request new features or present your ideas.
macjalm

Bring back the old layout / maps to the Training Server

Post by macjalm »

As there are little-to-no games going on the Unvanquished servers I think it's vital to keep the Training Server in a good shape. I've been away for a couple alphas and I noticed there are no "player H vs bot A" layouts anymore! I'd love to see them back, along with a few maps that went missing as well (such as Tremor, Niveus, Nano!, Station15). If there are any technical reasons for their absence (like different entity identifiers etc.), I'd be more than happy to work on some layouts for you. Let me know if you could make use of a layout designer :cool:

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Bring back the old layout / maps to the Training Server

Post by kharnov »

We dropped the Tremulous maps because we now have our own official set. There are eight of our own maps already, and a ninth is coming shortly. Even a tenth after that.

macjalm

Post by macjalm »

I see. I'm glad to hear that, but still -- human layouts are missing! And the map rotation on the Training Server is rather poor:

Code: Select all

/listrotation
rotation1:
    1 chasm
    2 plat23
    3 yocto
    4 chasm
    5 spacetracks
    6 plat23
    7 yocto

So again, if you guys don't have enough time to take care of creating the layouts right now, I'd be happy to help.

And by the way, it's really cool that new maps keep showing up, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to cut the legacy ones loose yet. Just my opinion, though.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

If you can throw together some good layouts, we can add them.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Yes, I miss too player H vs bot A layouts.

@macjalm: I also miss the Tremulous good old map, like e.g. Niveus, Arachnid, Ancient remains, Meep b2, Thermal, Pulse, Metro, Hamunaptra, Volcano, ... Maybe if someone wants to do remakes of these. (By grabbing the old .map, using the nice textures packs provided with Unvanquished, adding a minimap and bot navmesh to them.) Maybe those remake would be added to the servers, and why not, to the game.

Viech wrote:
Veyrdite wrote:

New content
[...] I'm going to have a stab at developing the old maps (eg Niveus) further to see if I can reform them with some minor changes & prettier surfaces to match the graphical improvements of the rest of the game. FYI: critique me to hell, I'm happy to take stab wounds at all of my work.

But… but… I wanted to remake Niveus. :frown: Well, it's fine, I'm too busy anyway. Check out Chameleon if you want to retexture old maps.

:love:

macjalm

Post by macjalm »

kharnov wrote:

Nice. I'm on it. Some layouts should pop up in a couple days, although I'm having some issues with Unv (bugged wallwalking, Platform 23 not working properly, other bugs -- all of which I intend to report when I get some spare time). Also, I blew the dust off NetRadiant and I'm considering crafting a map sometime soon :)

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

macjalm wrote:
kharnov wrote:

Nice. I'm on it. Some layouts should pop up in a couple days, although I'm having some issues with Unv (bugged wallwalking, Platform 23 not working properly, other bugs -- all of which I intend to report when I get some spare time). Also, I blew the dust off NetRadiant and I'm considering crafting a map sometime soon :)

Sounds great! Looking forward to it! New maps are always great and I agree that the rotation needs a little updating :p