Idea: Forward Slide

Request new features or present your ideas.

Should we add a forward slide?

Yes

30%

No

61%

Yes, and don't forget the tyrant slide!

9%

Total votes: 23
EckleckLighat
Dretch

Idea: Forward Slide

Post by EckleckLighat »

If you press crouch while running forward, it initiates a 'slide' in which you... erm... slide. Close to the ground. So close that you can slide under goons and/or tyrants.

Of course, any attempt to slide under a goon or rant while in a bsuit should a) not work, and b) get you instantly crushed by the rant if it's charging.

I say we give this ability to tyrants too... if you press c while charging, the tyrant will go into a slide... instantly paralysing any humans that see it happen. Perhaps we can add an animation of their jaws hitting the floor.

KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Idea: Forward Slide

Post by KenuR »

Seems pointless.

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

I love how everyone whos a big fan is shooting down ideas.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Only if it's pointless/stupid. No offence, but most of these ideas are coming from 14-year-olds.

EckleckLighat
Dretch

Post by EckleckLighat »

No offence, but most of these ideas are coming from 14-year-olds.

Hey there, I'm nearly 18 (although I have been accused of having the mind of a 2 year old :D)

As for the point: it gives the smaller (non-bsuit) humans a chance not to get totally owned by tyrants in narrow halls.
It's a helluva lot more realistic/useful than say... a Grenade Zeppelin.

On second thought, perhaps that's not as useful now that the charge has been nerfed :/

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Urban Terror already has a sort of slide like that, except that you have to jump first. Even then, I don't think it really fits that well into what we're trying to go for in the game. Balance implications aside, it really doesn't fit thematically. Humans aren't capable of moving as fast as the aliens, and they don't really possess any movement gimmicks besides dodging, which we nerfed. This forces humans to keep their distance and makes it very hard for them to run away from battles. Thus, while you're playing humans, you're supposed to be scared of what lurks around corners and you need to be very careful about picking your fights.

If you're allowing humans to make some rapid, sudden forward movement, you're making them much more powerful at close range, even if it doesn't initially come off as something that can be used offensively. I think there's a very good reason why dodge only allows you to leap to the sides and backwards. It's much harder to make precision leaps with the current implementation of dodging, since you can only see what's ahead of you. It adds a sense of danger, a feeling of impending risk, since most of the time you only get a single chance to get to a better position and disorient your attackers. If you can suddenly slide forwards, possibly carrying you off to the safety of a vent, all that it does is make it painful for the attacking alien to kill you. Where's the fun in that? Why should we increase the survivability of a human at close range?

Regarding the tyrant idea, that's just silly. I know you're joking, but come on.

EckleckLighat
Dretch

Post by EckleckLighat »

You make some good points, and I thank you for taking your time to actually make them, as opposed to writing my suggestion off without explanation [eyes the second post].

I agree that humans should be slower than aliens, and I don't consider this making humans faster. If anything, the slide should begin at the current speed and slow to (nearly) a halt.

Right now (1.2), your chance of escaping through a vent is fairly low, as it takes quite a bit of time to get through the opening. You can get a little speed by hopping while crouched, but for the most part you will have lost energy sprinting toward the vent. If a human manages to get to a vent, I say we let him have it. It's far more annoying to die after reaching a perceived point of safety than to lose your target to size restrictions.

I also think that a slide could be predictable. Given that it should only be performable at a sprint (forgot to mention that XD), and while running forwards, it should be pretty obvious that a human sprinting toward a tyrant is looking to slide.

I have no intention of giving anybody an extra ability that provides a major advantage in certain situations. My aim is to provide something that may work if well timed, or the player gets lucky.

If at any point you get tired of going back and forth about a suggestion with me, just say so. I'll drop it. (And please point me back to this post if I don't :D)

And I was not joking about the tyrant slide. We should add a granger slide too. That would be awesome.

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

The code for implementing this would be terribly nasty and ultimately a hack at best.....

This is because there really isn't any "space" below a tyrant or other aliens.

The attachment 1-single-bbox.jpg is no longer available

All objects in the game use this invisible box (an axis aligned bounding box) around their model for all collisions. As you can see, there can't be any free non collidable space below a model because then the model would sink through the floor ;).

Attachments
1-single-bbox.jpg
ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

We don't need to do that, just put 'friction when crouching when speed is > 100' lower. For tyrants, just duplicate the crouch code.

When i first saw this post, i thought of urban terror's sliding. It is shown in the tutorial demo after you install and run the game for the first time.

edit: kharnov already said it... oops

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

We don't need to do that, just put 'friction when crouching when speed is > 100' lower. For tyrants, just duplicate the crouch code.

When i first saw this post, i thought of urban terror's sliding. It is shown in the tutorial demo after you install and run the game for the first time.

edit: kharnov already said it... oops

^ Having less friction in crouch would add an interesting (albeit unpredictable) twist to gameplay.