Darkness

Request new features or present your ideas.
IgneelTheDragon

Darkness

Post by IgneelTheDragon »

I had an idea a while ago on forum.acidtu.be, So I wanted to reintroduce the idea here on unvanquished.
The basic idea is that the whole map will be encased in a darkness/fog. Humans would have to use torches or energy weapons to see and Aliens would rely upon senses other then sight. Read on for more hypothetical details.

Aliens:
-Aliens would be the mastermind behind the fog with there new introduced building (not sure what to call it yet). This building would create fog and slowly increase it while the building is alive. Of course there would be a limit to how high the levels could get.
-Aliens would only be able to see outlines if fog is heavy, but if the fog is lifted (due to human ingenuity) they would see like normally.
-Aliens therefore would have to mainly rely upon radar and the new introduced thermal vision. Thermal vision would have a limit to how long it can be used at a time and would slowly recharge.
-Lower class aliens would have a more enhanced radar then normal, and higher classes would have a less developed one.
-Higher class aliens would have a more enhanced eye and ability to see in fog, lower class aliens would have a less developed eye.
-Aliens in reach of the OverMind or an egg have the ability to see much better in the fog due to the OverMind/Egg identifying objects for them. This is for navigation in bases.

Humans:
-Humans would have to rely upon torches and lights to get around. These torches would be attached to the Human and bought in an armory. You will automatically spawn with a low tier one. Low tier torches are infinite but if you buy a better one they will provide more light, but battery will be consumed. Energy weapons or flame-throwers would produce a little additional light.
-Humans would be able to build floodlights to see in their base, and lights would also be attached to buildings to see them easily.
-Humans would have another buildable that sucks up fog.
-If fog gets to its fullest amount possible, Humans will sustain slow damage without a helmet or a battlesuit.
-As fog gets stronger, torches won't work as well.

Game play Affects:
Negative:
-If there are heaps of Humans in a team you only need one light bearer, and the rest attackers. This gives Aliens a disadvantage but then again Tremulous/Unvanquished has always been in favor of lots of Humans in one spot.
Positive:
-Teams could either invest in fogging/un-fogging or creating good defenses. This adds strategy.
-Teams would have to work together more. E.g. hunt in packs, have a light bearer and attackers, etc.
-Adds a sense of exploration to the game, that isn't evident enough for experienced players.

Of course this is just an idea. I don't expect this to be added. It would be more like creating a whole new game.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Darkness

Post by Viech »

This sounds indeed like quite a different game. It may be interesting for a mod but it's not a direction I'd like to move the main game towards.

The main problem seems to be a technical one: You can hardly prevent players from tweaking their settings so that they can see through the fog more easily, making the whole game look horrible for everyone. This and the added possibilities for cheating (just don't draw the fog) are also reasons why I don't think we'll ever make darkness a core element of the game, not to mention that we don't have proper dynamic lighting and it would be far from easy to implement.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Funny, all I thought of was this which was based off gloom, rather, an attempted direct revival port into the hl2 engine.
Gloom did have torchlight but it was kinda dodgy, it was just a local light spawned at the impact point of the gun and it wasn't client-predicted (meaning there was a delay between moving your gun and seeing the light move)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Adding a torchlight might even be doable with slight adjustments to the dynamic lighting code we have so far, it's mostly dark maps that we can't afford for the mentioned reasons. I don't actually know an online competitive multiplayer game that did this, I guess this kind of game only works on a LAN party with your friends.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction