Gain points with ping

Request new features or present your ideas.
Obani

Gain points with ping

Post by Obani »

This is just an idea I had when playing this game. I'm someone with a very old computer, and I lag very much on this game. You can add to this that I have 150 ping on all the servers of Unvanquished. Many times I play when someone is downloading something, or watching some video,... So I had an idea. Why wouldn't we make a way to score more points with more ping? Why? Aren't you happy when you kill someone with 999 ping or 8 FPS (I know FPS and ping are not the same things)? This is just an idea, but I'd like you to tell me what do you think of it.

Have a nice day, and have good games ! :thumbup:

--
Obani

Tom
Dragoon

Re: Gain points with ping

Post by Tom »

When there will be more players, they will fill servers all around the world, increasing the chance for us all to have decent match with a lower ping.

However, I like your idea of having the earned amount of evo. pt. or credits proportional to ping and FPS, it's original, but it seems to be very hard to equilibrate, so maybe it would be better if it is implemented as an optional mod.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Gain points with ping

Post by Viech »

Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

Latencies are an issue we can try to ease or work around but we will certainly not have it impact and complicate the game even more.

Apart from potential scenarious of abuse, resource systems are the fragile core of the gameplay and should be kept as simple as possible. For credits, every kill gives you 200 plus half of what the enemy paid for their class/equipment (note that 1 evo = 100 credits). If multiple players hurt an enemy, the reward is shared according to the fraction of damage dealt. Healing scales these damage "accounts" down accordingly. The simplicity of this allows us to make certain assumptions when balancing, e.g. we know that the limit of the player's credit average is 400, so the marauder should be the "mean" alien class, etc. Giving additional rewards (like the 200 credits you currently get for surviving two minutes) is generally dangerous as its effects (on balance) are hard to predict.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction