Camping

Request new features or present your ideas.
danmal

Camping

Post by danmal »

Camping is a pretty major issue with current gameplay and needs to be fixed. I'd like people to post up ideas and discuss them in this thread. After there's been some discussion I'll write them up on the wiki and make a public post asking for input. From there we can start implementing ideas and see which ones work.

I wrote up an idea for an alternative game mode a while ago. To summarise:

• There are specific areas (resource points) in a map where an extractor can be built
  • These extractors provide stage points (maybe credits/evos as well) and power in the immediate vicinity

This prevents one team camping in their base as eventually the other team will be stage 2 or 3 while they're still stage 1.

Some things that I'm not sure about

• Back door: How do we minimise the risk of back door attempts? We don't want a goon running from base to base attempting to pounce the extractor
  • Main base: Should the main base have an RC or should it just be a big resource point with an extractor?
  • Builders/grangers: A builder/granger is extremely important in this game mode. Are builders going to enjoy running from base to base and relying on team mates for protection?
  • Balance: Balance is going to be completely off as the game mode is quite different to standard Tremulous/GPP
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Re: Camping

Post by Gireen »

ha. i was at it to posting a simmilar idea. :)

It is good to get more RTS elements into the game.
Some additional things:
*The Resources could be Supplie Boxes
*The extractors could be Spawns near to the Boxes.
*Resources on every place are limited.

Every teams start with low BP and a small base with 1 middle supply box. Spawns near the supplie box generate BP.
This gives the game a atomatic sudden death wen all recources are empty and only a minimum of BP stays to rebuild wen everyting else is destroyed.
Oh and maybe get bigger resource places they only can be mined by OM/RC to force teams to move there base.

fear ma engrish :granger:

danmal

Post by danmal »

These are some good ideas. I especially like the concept of diminishing resources. I personally wanted to use extractors because it allows people more flexibility with base design (if you build no telenodes then you can afford more defensive structures but you're gonna have to walk further to get to the action).

Gireen
Graphic Designer

Post by Gireen »

Yes, a separate Building for mining would be better. Than they could be limited, e.g. only 3 extractors per team to prevent that Aliens get to much resources.

Gireen
Graphic Designer

Post by Gireen »

Some other ideas for it:

• Let something defend the resource points, which must be killed before players can reach them (more resources = stronger defense)
  • To use the Resources players must bring them from the Extractor to the main base. Only Ckits/Grangers can carry resources.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

And if the carrier is killed, what happens to the resources being carried?

(Also, see our game design proposals page.)

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!