Tying a command's output to a console

Request new features or present your ideas.
kangz
Programmer

Tying a command's output to a console

Post by kangz »

Someone on the channel suggested that output and the completion of a command could be tied to the console it was ran in. It makes a lot of sense for completion but maybe a bit less for the output.

In this commit I implemented it roughly: it introduces a new log level called Print that behaves a bit like Notice except that Notice always gets printed on all consoles (e.g. for map changes messages, ...) while Print can be tied to a specific console. For now all the Com_Printf calls can be tied but I want to change that and have it equivalent to Notice.

However some people don't like that change (and I'm not quite sure it is a good change either) so I'd like your opinion on it. How would you like your command output tied to a specific console? (if at all)

Ishq
Project Head

Re: Tying a command's output to a console

Post by Ishq »

Personally, I can see the usefulness of only having autocomplete show in one window, but I can't really see the utility anywhere else. Furthermore, it isn't exactly harmful, or even especially annoying to have autocomplete show up in all terminals, therefore I would say any effort to try to do this will only result in more problems and will ultimately not be worth the effort.