Radar Upgrade (or rather downgrade)

Request new features or present your ideas.
IgneelTheDragon

Radar Upgrade (or rather downgrade)

Post by IgneelTheDragon »

I personally think that radar on BSuit :bsuit: is bad...
To counter this i came up with the idea that the radar can be destroyed if attacked at right place or attacked enough.
Weather it can be repaired for free or you have to pay for a new one is up to anyone.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Radar Upgrade (or rather downgrade)

Post by Viech »

My plans for the Radar were making it a backpacked item that detects enemies for the whole team. That means you can't wear it on a Battlesuit and also not together with the Jetpack but you would be able to provide radar capabilities to your squad. This obviously needs a rich (and maintainable and readable) minimap. Coincidentally, we need a rich minimap bad for pretty much anything I planned that has remotely to do with teamwork.¹

¹ Even if some people prefer a Shooter that allows teamwork exclusively via VoIP, I firmly believe we can't remotely be a FPS/RTS hybrid, or even strategic wrt base building, without the one feature that every RTS in the world ever had since the beginning of games. A rich minimap, that does show all firendly units as well as spotted (!) enemies.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

So does this mean that if one player is equipped with a radar, all other teammates will have access to the radar readings?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Not yet, but I plan either this (via a rich minimap) or (as an intermediate solution) giving the current radar capabilities to closeby teammates. The radar is already a backpack, using the removed battery pack's old model as a placeholder, so you can't equip it together with a battlesuit anymore.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

So even if a battle suit can't be equipped with a radar he can still have access to it, as long as another team mate has one nearby? If so I think it's a pretty good idea. It will probably promote team work as well.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

We are still arguing about the details though. I want radar blips to show up on the minimap (potentially in addition to an in-hud display only for the radar carrier), Ishq doesn't want enemies to passively be marked on the map.

However, we need a better minimap setup first, before we can even consider this.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Well, since the game is still in alpha stage, you can try different implementations before settling on a permanent solution. However I think the radar on the HUD is more than sufficient. Cluttering the mini map with radar blip would create too much distractions.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

Cluttering the mini map with radar blip would create too much distractions.

Not if done well. Every RTS minimap displays a variety of things ranging from resource spots and markers to buildables and both enemy and friendly troops and all that without looking cluttered.