Let's design human buildings!

Request new features or present your ideas.
janev
Marauder

Re: Let's design human buildings!

Post by janev »

Whitetech I realize it is still very early in the development cycle and that is why I am bringing this stuff up. I like stories that dont contradict themselves. A unifying concept of "what the unvanquished universe is" helps those tasked with making the models. The ultimate goal is not as you say to improve tremulous but to create a whole new game. Getting the story straight helps create a unified vibe.

To maintain a logical continuity and to explain the use of trem resources (this is more for storytelling purposes than anything else) a simple solution would be to call it a loosely fitting sequel. If you give the game mechanics a more in depth working over then the old maps and classes no longer fit so well. Defining the goal is necessary step in creating a new game.

The crossbow idea was probably too low tech, same with the melee weapons. Neither will be fun for those in charge of the balance. Anyway the point was to not just reskin the same weapons but to implement a few new ones, even if they serve the same function. It helps alot in differentiating the games.

Buildings

Flame turret
A short range high damage defense structure that excels in tight spaces. Friendly fire possible with area of effect damage. Not something you would put in the main base.

Laser turret
Same function as the MG turret, only with lasers. Highly accurate

Plasma turret
Same guy, different pants.

Alien swatter
This would be along the more low tech lines. A large melee defensive structure that either crushes or cuts aliens that trigger it. Something along the lines of a large hydraulic press, lawnmower blade or very large mouse trap.

Tesla coil
Same as the current tesla but it would look more like the real life thing or the one from red alert. Either a slow repeat/ high damage zap or a low damage multi-target affair. I would like it if it zapped everything within range, alien or human. Humans would be immune to the damage (grounded via their armor) but still get the visual zap. If it is targeting multiple targets you could reduce the damage/ target. Also along the red alert lines multiple tesla coils could charge each other creating a more powerful zap, or was the the allied defense structure that did that?

Flak Cannon
Inaccurate, moderate area damage with variable damage depending on how close to the blast the alien is.

Armory (armor upgrades)
Gun rack (weapons)
Either as two separate buildables or one structure showing the dual nature of the content. Not just a big green box for every newbie to wonder about. If weapon upgrades are tied to various objectives you could have the gun racks as part of the map near the objectives. --> Capture a flag, gain 3 (free) pulse rifles for the team.

Control panel
Gives access to doors and other things around the map. You could lock certain doors and manipulate the world in other ways. --> On larger maps with many different approaches this could mean choosing to exclude part or the map for the duration of the game. Flood the tunnel route while keep the other two routes clear. OR disabling non critical elevators. --> The effect would be to add a new variable to maps to keep things fresh. Cosmetic stuff like lights, locking all doors open

Medical station/ Mess hall
It gives out medkits, no beams of light need to be involved.

Barracks/ Conscription office/ Drop pod/ Surface entrance tunnel
A cosmetically altered telenode

Repeater
Functions like a (very) low power tesla coil as well as giving forward power. It'll help keep the dretches off the forward builders.

Ammo dump/ medical dump
Gives ammo/ medical aid to forward troops without the need for power. Finite amount of heals/ bullets available.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Consider this all seconded.

Flamethrower turrets for crowd control

That would have amazing tk.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

That's either idiot placement or sabotage. And I'd consider that latter to be the same as basenading.

(Note that that's not intended as an argument for or against mines; players should be able to shoot their team in the collective foot.)

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

janev wrote:

Laser turret
Same function as the MG turret, only with lasers. Highly accurate

Seems reasonable. Map could determine which is used (this or the MG turret); the name would be the same for both.

Plasma turret

Ditto.

Tesla coil
Same as the current tesla but it would look more like the real life thing or the one from red alert. Either a slow repeat/ high damage zap or a low damage multi-target affair. I would like it if it zapped everything within range, alien or human. Humans would be immune to the damage (grounded via their armor) but still get the visual zap. If it is targeting multiple targets you could reduce the damage/ target. Also along the red alert lines multiple tesla coils could charge each other creating a more powerful zap, or was the the allied defense structure that did that?

I think that I prefer multizap, with the adv. marauder being rather less susceptible to it.

Control panel
Gives access to doors and other things around the map. You could lock certain doors and manipulate the world in other ways. --> On larger maps with many different approaches this could mean choosing to exclude part or the map for the duration of the game. Flood the tunnel route while keep the other two routes clear. OR disabling non critical elevators. --> The effect would be to add a new variable to maps to keep things fresh. Cosmetic stuff like lights, locking all doors open

That's something to be built into the maps. (See pulse_102.)

Repeater
Functions like a (very) low power tesla coil as well as giving forward power. It'll help keep the dretches off the forward builders.

That seems useful. Still a place for somebody with at least a machine gun there, though.

Ammo dump/ medical dump
Gives ammo/ medical aid to forward troops without the need for power. Finite amount of heals/ bullets available.

Could be recharged by somebody with a construction kit, perhaps?

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

janev wrote:

Whitetech I realize it is still very early in the development cycle and that is why I am bringing this stuff up. I like stories that dont contradict themselves. A unifying concept of "what the unvanquished universe is" helps those tasked with making the models. The ultimate goal is not as you say to improve tremulous but to create a whole new game........

It's not a whole new game. Same gameplay, same idea, same "story", same weapons, same aliens. Right now especially, we're just simply replacing models and improving graphics and menus. Maybe in the future add new weapons and aliens. I personally wouldn't call it a sequel Just an improvement on the current Tremulous. Think of how you download mods for Skyrim, new weapons, new graphics, maybe even new places and gameplay. Still Skyrim. We use the old maps because we love them, seeing as they're no gameplay changes, other then making the Mara slightly more controllable no need for replacing a good map for a new one. "If it ain't broke don't fix"

Tesla Coil: Seems like a good idea, but even with the new partial system as it is I get 20 or below FPS on my ATI 5970 at times. Which is ridiculous. I get 25 with Skyrim on Max (I usually play on high though). I don't think adding 10 lighting bolts per tesla won't help much

Flak Cannon: Reminds me of Unreal Tournament, Defiantly my favorite weapon, a big ass shot gun of sorts.

Control panel: Odd I think, it would give the humans much too big of an advantage, plus you'd need to mod it for each and every map. Or make a mapping plug-in for people to install in their mapping program, so the average non-developer can still make maps.

New medi station: so the only function is to give out med packs?

New tele: We have Teleporters. Why would we need to have drop pods or tunnels? We're working on new building models.

Repeater: Very good idea. But we'd need some changes on the alien side. Or perhaps they only act like teslas at S2. I think it would be OP if they just repeater rushed the entrances of the alien base when everyone has dretch at the beginning of the game.

Ammo dump: perhaps. but couldn't you just spam the things? Maybe one that took less power then an arm, infinite ammo, but had a recharge time, before more ammo could be taken. Same with a medical dump.

So maybe it could be called "a new game". But really, same place in time. A remake of the current game. Not a sequel, therefore doesn't need to be different in anyway really. Maybe like Doom 3 BFG edition. It's a re-make, new engine, more refined gameplay, but still Doom 3. Call it Tremulous Unvanquished Edition.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

WhiteTech wrote:

It's not a whole new game.

But the goal is to be a whole new game. So why not venture into uncharted territory while still in the alpha stages? This is the time to make the gameplay and class changes/ additions. Worry about balancing them in the Beta stage.

Yeah the ammo dumps would have to be limited in number and either periodically rebuilt or refilled by a builder.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

WhiteTech wrote:

It's not a whole new game. Same gameplay, same idea, same "story", same weapons, same aliens. Right now especially, we're just simply replacing models and improving graphics and menus. Maybe in the future add new weapons and aliens. I personally wouldn't call it a sequel Just an improvement on the current Tremulous. Think of how you download mods for Skyrim, new weapons, new graphics, maybe even new places and gameplay. Still Skyrim. We use the old maps because we love them, seeing as they're no gameplay changes, other then making the Mara slightly more controllable no need for replacing a good map for a new one. "If it ain't broke don't fix"

Tesla Coil: Seems like a good idea, but even with the new partial system as it is I get 20 or below FPS on my ATI 5970 at times. Which is ridiculous. I get 25 with Skyrim on Max (I usually play on high though). I don't think adding 10 lighting bolts per tesla won't help much

At what point when you play do you have 10 aliens next to a tesla?

Flak Cannon: Reminds me of Unreal Tournament, Defiantly my favorite weapon, a big ass shot gun of sorts.

Control panel: Odd I think, it would give the humans much too big of an advantage, plus you'd need to mod it for each and every map. Or make a mapping plug-in for people to install in their mapping program, so the average non-developer can still make maps.

New medi station: so the only function is to give out med packs?

Yes, but you are no longer limited to one person per, and you can move out a lot faster (Grab a medikit, activate, grab another, gogogogo)

New tele: We have Teleporters. Why would we need to have drop pods or tunnels? We're working on new building models.

Repeater: Very good idea. But we'd need some changes on the alien side. Or perhaps they only act like teslas at S2. I think it would be OP if they just repeater rushed the entrances of the alien base when everyone has dretch at the beginning of the game.

What if they got teslas when there was a dcc?

On a related note, the dcc needs souping up (maybe it could return to 1.1 levels of healing). The Alien radar invisibility thing is a good touch.

Ammo dump: perhaps. but couldn't you just spam the things? Maybe one that took less power then an arm, infinite ammo, but had a recharge time, before more ammo could be taken. Same with a medical dump.

So maybe it could be called "a new game". But really, same place in time. A remake of the current game. Not a sequel, therefore doesn't need to be different in anyway really. Maybe like Doom 3 BFG edition. It's a re-make, new engine, more refined gameplay, but still Doom 3. Call it Tremulous Unvanquished Edition.

Now is the time, the time is now

If you want to make changes, do it now. If changes don't come now, you'll be waiting quite a while. Make it a new game. Who wants gameplay that's been the same for 5 years? Spice it up. Add stuff. Screw it in unimaginable ways. If you mess up, so what? It's a fucking alpha. It doesn't even need to be stable. Just go out and do it.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I'd love a flak cannon for defence againts goons long-range. They are heavy, so they would suck close range anyway. You might as well blow up your base with it :D

Laser turret: You do realise the current mgturret barely misses. It only misses pretty much on dretches only, but they kill dretches in four hits anyway, so uh...

Btw, it would be cool if the current tesla didn't push, but pull due to the charge transfer. This is what real life electricity transfer is like anyway.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

janev wrote:

But the goal is to be a whole new game.

No, it's not.
As far as I know, the goal is to create a game that is similar to Tremulous, but has different game mechanics and assets.
And another thing, all of your ideas are a bit overkill. Be realistic here, no one is going to make models for a hundred different turrets.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

KenuR wrote:

No, it's not.
As far as I know, the goal is to create a game that is similar to Tremulous, but has different game mechanics and assets.
And another thing, all of your ideas are a bit overkill. Be realistic here, no one is going to make models for a hundred different turrets.

You must be new here...