Let's design human buildings!

Request new features or present your ideas.
JBiscuitz
Mantis

Re: Let's design human buildings!

Post by JBiscuitz »

How about it just disappears?

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

On the topic of mines, I think that it if the humans were allowed mines, then the aliens should be allowed a sort of mine as well. Similar to the webs suggested on the other thread, maybe aliens could have a mine/trap that could be hidden and when activated by a human, grabs their ankles and holds them still until they shoot it and it retracts. maybe like a vine/tentacle or a sticky substance?

It may be redundant or OP though, seeing as humans can already be slowed and something similar was mentioned with the webs.

The other structure/device that has been on my mind has to do more with the map styles. It seems most the maps are parts of ships or abandoned sci-fi stations. Most shows I see that have ships and space stations also have advanced controls, such as environmental and being able to lock and unlock parts of a ship. I was thinking it would be interesting to be able to build a terminal that could be used to lock and unlock certain doors to rooms and hallways. Said doors would be destructible so the aliens would have a way to make it past the temporary locks.

This also could OP for humans, and might be over complicated and ridiculous

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

So if you accidentally drop a mine in your base, you cannot remove it, to prevent its explosion, you just have to not use a mine? Gee, thats frustrating.

So if you accidentally drop a nade in your base, you cannot remove it, to prevent its explosion, you just have to not use a mine? Gee, thats frustrating.

CommanderWill wrote:

On the topic of mines, I think that it if the humans were allowed mines, then the aliens should be allowed a sort of mine as well. Similar to the webs suggested on the other thread, maybe aliens could have a mine/trap that could be hidden and when activated by a human, grabs their ankles and holds them still until they shoot it and it retracts. maybe like a vine/tentacle or a sticky substance?

It may be redundant or OP though, seeing as humans can already be slowed and something similar was mentioned with the webs.

That sounds like the trapper

The other structure/device that has been on my mind has to do more with the map styles. It seems most the maps are parts of ships or abandoned sci-fi stations. Most shows I see that have ships and space stations also have advanced controls, such as environmental and being able to lock and unlock parts of a ship. I was thinking it would be interesting to be able to build a terminal that could be used to lock and unlock certain doors to rooms and hallways. Said doors would be destructible so the aliens would have a way to make it past the temporary locks.

This also could OP for humans, and might be over complicated and ridiculous

Have you checked out Gmotw Skybox? That seems to have a similar concept to what you are thinking of.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

That reminds me of NS' map-control system. I don't know how it works since i've never played it (i cannot buy HL2) but i know it exists.

Btw, skybox doesnt work well with gpp/unvanquished's repeater system. Someone will have to recompile it somehow with a fixed map-based cvar that is used each time the map is played.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

I figured it may have come up before. I've never actually played NS myself, although I could. I am planning on buying NS2 soon though. The main reason I bring it up though, is just that most the doors open and close painfully slow. It also doesn't make so much sense to me that a human door would auto open for an alien, gameplay wise it makes sense though, that's not really important.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

With all these people advertising NS2 on unvanquished/tremulous-related-forums-elsewhere, lots are gonna play NS2. Maybe we should do something similar to them :D

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Mines would be ridiculous, seeing as aliens main attack is melee how could they destroy the humans buildings guarded by mines?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

WhiteTech wrote:

how could they destroy the humans buildings guarded by mines?

Dretch suicide. If the mines are near the buildings, then it kills the buildings FOR you.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

For starters, unvanquished needs to come to terms with its tremulous roots (shared code, maps, concepts, resources etc) and establish some form of continuity of the tremulous storyline. Without that both games are painfully similar. If you are going for a whole new feel to the game then a radical redesign of existing stuff needs to happen. The basic premise of aliens vs humans in single combat can stay the same but old maps should be scrapped and the feel of combat should also change. Change the size of models, movement speed and the general terrain.

If you were to state that the unvanquished world is the setting for the second human/ alien conflict in this part of human controlled space then you have much less of a conceptual conflict. Say for example there was a 100 year period of relative calm where humanity thought the alien menace was destroyed. The colonies have been allowed to function largely without guidance from earth for this time. You could even say earth is no longer a consideration/ destroyed/ out of touch/ in the grip of civil war. You now have a reason to re-skin all the tech to mirror a colonial world without the technological r&d/ material support of earth (firefly!) but with considerable experience fighting aliens.

The world stays the same, weapons and structures are upgraded to mark II models in line with the new colonial government backstory, old maps get small cosmetic updates to reflect the outcome of the earlier conflict. Example Niveus sustained heavy damage in the first alien/human conflict and was therefore abandoned when the survivors consolidated their holdings after the battles of the first war. Many years have passed and there is pressure within the new government to expand to facilitate growth, some factions thinking there is no more alien menace, wish to reopen the Niveus facility. Parts of the map are “damaged beyond repair”, i.e. removed and new entrances have to be made. Some textures change to reflect 100 years sans humans (give it an alien vibe) and a portion of the map is totally redesigned.

I see things going in two different directions. Either you make stuff more high tech, or lower tech. “The most brilliant minds of humanity survived and upgraded our shit” or “without earth we have reverted to more primitive, but not to say less effective methods”.

A high tech world could rely extensively on lasers and electric weaponry, both of which were efficient at dealing with a constant flow of low concentrations of aliens, humans were exterminating what small pockets remained wherever they found them. Turrets become lasers, tesla coils now hit multiple targets, do more damage and slow targets and you could even throw in some pulsing force shields that defend structures (think protoss from starcraft). The first few strikes do nothing but disable the shield (marauders zap overloads the force shield but does little damage to buildings or humans). ‘Tesla troopers replace flamethrowers. Wireless everything. Zap them, melt them. Repeaters to power forward structures. High tech sensors.

The low tech route could also be very interesting. You have a colonial power with massive amounts of resources at their disposal but not the technical knowhow and manufacturing capability to use it like the old powers did. The new frontier where everything is built like a brick shithouse, the people smell bad and are built tough. Heavy metal plating on all the buildings, huge inaccurate guns, flamethrowers and explosives replace heavy weapons/ crowd control weapons. Flamethrower turrets for crowd control, reactors become generators, armories become weapon racks (buildable only on walls), the old telenode system is still working but that is about it. The colonies are forced to make do with old tech, patch it up and run the constant risk of being cut off from the rest of the colonies when things finally do break down beyond repair. Not everyone can be afforded a gun. The basic infantry unit has a crossbow or melee weapon. These are supposed to be colonists so give them a randomly selected suitable work implement to bash the brains out of aliens with. Crowbar, wrench, shovel, welding torch etc. Lots of heavy cables and stuff between buildings. Squash them, blow them up, burn them. Forward ammo dumps require no power. No way of knowing where aliens are, get some heavier armor. Grenade launchers/ grenadier with inaccurate projectiles and large damage, these could be weapons or buildings.

All alien stuff has evolved over the years to counter the new human threat/ new living conditions/ facilitate new models. Trapper is no longer a precision structure, it is something that throws up a massive field of immobilizing gew, the aliens were beaten, outnumbered and on the run. You could even make the trapper a 1 shot buildable, when triggered it immobilizes everyone within range and gets destroyed.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

janev wrote:

For starters, unvanquished needs to come to terms with its tremulous roots (shared code, maps, concepts, resources etc) and establish some form of continuity of the tremulous storyline. Without that both games are painfully similar. If you are going for a whole new feel to the game then a radical redesign of existing stuff needs to happen. The basic premise of aliens vs humans in single combat can stay the same but old maps should be scrapped and the feel of combat should also change. Change the size of models, movement speed and........

That sounds like you're talking a sequel. You need to understand that Unvanquished is not a sequel and is still very early in it's development. Its merely improving the root game immensely. (Alpha 7 just released) (If you don't know, Alpha comes before Beta, which comes before release). Hence why they are painfully the same, especially right now.

Tremulous really never had a story behind it. Which is fine by me (if not better then having one). It doesn't really need one. Aliens invade and they fight, or in very rare cases, humans invade. It is a game focused on game play. The map makers sometimes make stories behind their particular map, but that's about it (or authors write stories). Therefore, neither does Unvanquished have a story. Seeing as it's a strictly multi-player game, no story needed, and therefore anyone can make a map.

I love your old tech root, being cut off and force to used older technologies, sure sick, (although Tremulous doesn't have a story in the first place) but seeing as they're evenly matched as it is with humans having advanced tech, humans using a crossbow vs any alien, would be ridiculous (as much as I love bows and cross bows). Considering I have a hard time hitting a dretch with any gun, or taking out an actual deer with a bow.

I think your ideas are for a completely different/new awesome game. Using Unreal 4 or Crytek, or idTech 4 engines with big name companies behind the development.

We here are just a bunch of people improving a game we love.