Let's design human buildings!

Request new features or present your ideas.
seana11
Tyrant

Re: Let's design human buildings!

Post by seana11 »

I like this idea, since when I first saw a ret, I was like "How do I aim this thing?" It took me a bit to figure out that they fire on their own.

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

Thank you. I was wondering how damage while aboard would be calculated... does the human take direct damage or does the machine or both? Is damage lessened by , say 1/3? Not at all? Will this become a camping mechanism or not so much with its slow limited turning? Will people use it? Would you use it? Lol i keep asking myself all of these. Guess it just depends on community response

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

JBiscuitz wrote:

Thank you. I was wondering how damage while aboard would be calculated... does the human take direct damage or does the machine or both? Is damage lessened by , say 1/3? Not at all? Will this become a camping mechanism or not so much with its slow limited turning? Will people use it? Would you use it? Lol i keep asking myself all of these. Guess it just depends on community response

Playtest

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

By the looks I think the aliens need more structures as well. Maybe you could create something that when humans come near. Small Spiders (bots) will chase the humans and attack until the humans kill them or get far enough away. Anyway this is about human buildings so I will suggest :) maybe humans can have mines?
Human could have an upgrade to the reactor giving it a turret. Of course aliens would also need an upgrade option.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

banksy wrote:

By the looks I think the aliens need more structures as well. Maybe you could create something that when humans come near. Small Spiders (bots) will chase the humans and attack until the humans kill them or get far enough away. Anyway this is about human buildings so I will suggest :) maybe humans can have mines?
Human could have an upgrade to the reactor giving it a turret. Of course aliens would also need an upgrade option.

I second all of these.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Mines sounds good, but not as structures. Something to buy and throw or drop, much like grenades.

Spiders… hmm. Could have them impede humans in some way: obscure vision, drain stamina or something. Clearing this could be by medical equipment or (in the case of obscured vision, perhaps) a flamer :cool:

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Obscured vision and stamina reduction sounds good :)

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

banksy wrote:

Obscured vision and stamina reduction sounds good :)

Obscured vision would not work. I'll quote nemo on this one:

'nemo' wrote:

The main issue with all information hiding (light, dark) is it is far too easy to cheat in an open source game. Implementing this is pretty easy, but I suspect people would discover they were playing against others who had smugly turned off the masking, thinking that simple cheats is being clever. Well, even in closed source games, these sorts of things aren't too hard to override. But at least the code isn't there to help people untangle the flow.

MCMic

Post by MCMic »

banksy wrote:

By the looks I think the aliens need more structures as well. Maybe you could create something that when humans come near. Small Spiders (bots) will chase the humans and attack until the humans kill them or get far enough away.

No, that is too near to the hive IMO

banksy wrote:

Anyway this is about human buildings so I will suggest :) maybe humans can have mines?

Not a bad idea, but I disagree with the person that said it should be a weapon. If it is a weapon, humans could put too many of them, if it is a building, they'll be limited by build points. Maybe it could be a weapon if we limit the number of mines on the map.

banksy wrote:

That sound means, but maybe it's just the alien in me speaking…

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

MCMic wrote:

Not a bad idea, but I disagree with the person that said it should be a weapon. If it is a weapon, humans could put too many of them, if it is a building, they'll be limited by build points. Maybe it could be a weapon if we limit the number of mines on the map.

Currently, when a building is destroyed (not removed), the buildpoints are not available immediately, and return little by little, it penalizes the human team. Mines are designed to self-destruct, so if a mine is a bulding, this means that there is a building designed to penalize the human team.

Also, I'm not sure that the concept of mine is compatible with Unvanquished. Mine is permanent until it did not explode, and can act against humans. Because Unvanquished is a multiplayer game, you can not really predict the movements of the human team members.

Also, a building can be removed safely, while on real battle fields, everyone risks his life to remove them, even those who placed them.

A grenade is pretty close to mine, but his presence in the game is possible because it is limited in time, humans who are injured by grenades are humans who have heard the launched grenade and that have not taken precautions.

Also, mines condemn territories, I think it is not really compatible with the gameplay, and mines make sense in large spaces outside, not in the corridors.