I designed a gun, want one like it?

Request new features or present your ideas.
rolandixor
Dretch

I designed a gun, want one like it?

Post by rolandixor »

I've been working on a gun for a story series of mine that will hopefully spawn a game. It's called the Hybrid Rifle, and can fire from a pair of lasers, a pair of assault rifles, or a sonic weapon.

(With GCN Insignia).

Would the community be interested in my proposing something similar for unvanquished? I have not done any animations for it (still finishing off the model) and it is not yet fully textured (I am not good at texturing (UV) yet, but trying).

Elmo
Dretch

Re: I designed a gun, want one like it?

Post by Elmo »

Well i'm not at all apart of the team responsible for these decisions, but if a Mass Driver concept hasn't been put in the works already i'm sure you could derive one from what you have in the works already.

Long live the legacy of:
[COM] [OPP] [ICE] =USA=
|AoD|[_MS} .!vR ?FH: .^
And many more...

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Interesting design, even though I think uniting three different attack types in one weapon isn't so much fun as having three weapons with different strengthes and drawbacks.

Our sniper rifle concept is being finished currently.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

Viech wrote:

Interesting design, even though I think uniting three different attack types in one weapon isn't so much fun as having three weapons with different strengthes and drawbacks.

Our sniper rifle concept is being finished currently.

I am more thinking something similar in terms of design (two attacks in one is of course already possible with the Luci).

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I meant attack types as in projectile, laser and sonic. You are wasting a lot of options for different weapons such as a projectile weapon with different types of ammunition, a laser weapon that can be shot continuously/pulsed as well as charged, a sonic weapon that can both hurt a single target or stun a group of enemies, etc.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

Viech wrote:

I meant attack types as in projectile, laser and sonic. You are wasting a lot of options for different weapons such as a projectile weapon with different types of ammunition, a laser weapon that can be shot continuously/pulsed as well as charged, a sonic weapon that can both hurt a single target or stun a group of enemies, etc.

Well in the context that the gun was built for, it makes a lot of sense. Without giving away too much of the (off-topic) story:

Soldiers carry mainly a single weapon (or one big weapon and one small weapon). This weapon needs to have multiple attack modes because they have to be able to defend against multiple sources of attack (machines, other soldiers, and as they later find out; aliens who aren't that afraid of bullets).

There are other, more specialized weapons, but of course the standard soldier doesn't use them as often.

(Back on topic):
A weapon like this in unv would only have one of the attack modes (but keep a similar design). That was my proposal :)