Grenade throwing mechanics

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Grenade throwing mechanics

Post by Viech »

So, we decided we want to test a grenade that is thrown as opposed to magically launched fom the human's crotch. This thread is not about possible balance implications: For now we want the way the grenade is tossed to be as fun as possible. Balance can be adjusted by tweaking damage, blast radius and price values and should not be considered just yet.

Here is my design proposal:

You don't have to switch to the grenade as if it was a weapon. You can throw it anytime as long as you don't shoot and your rifle will be lowered visibly in both first and third person perspective. The grenade is rised from below to above your vision frustum with the left hand and the button is pushed with the thumb in the process, so that you can see it in the first person perspective. After the grenade left your vision it will be thrown from above your head, your throwing arm will enter the frustum again and leave it at the lower end before it goes back to the rising rifle (that way the throwing animation is independent of the (potentially per-rifle) lower and rise animations).

The process can be started either by hitting the grenade button once or by holding it down. The time between starting the process and the grenade being launched is fixed! During that time, a charge bar is filled in case the button is held down and it will be full at the time where the grenade is thrown (for now you can't cock the grenade by holding down the button longer but my approach would allow this to be implemented later on). The progress on the charge bar when you release the button determines the throw strength and/or angle. Hitting the grenade button once will result in a very short toss and holding it down up to the end will lead to a far throw.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Re: Grenade throwing mechanics

Post by janev »

Underhand throw with the offhand. Charge bar determines strength of throw.

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

Considering only the fun part of grenade tossing, I think that the cooking (cocking in you port :P) is the funniest mechanic (it is awesome in UrT for example). I see almost no games where the range is adjusted with the click duration and unless you have some kind of preview of the trajectory it will be very difficult to aime with the grenade. IMHO cooking -> different ranges. (in games where the range is fixed you can control the trajectory very well by running or jumping and it feels great too).

The animation you describe seem ok, we would need to see ingame though.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

kangz wrote:

Considering only the fun part of grenade tossing, I think that the cooking (cocking in you port :P) is the funniest mechanic (it is awesome in UrT for example). […] IMHO cooking -> different ranges. (in games where the range is fixed you can control the trajectory very well by running or jumping and it feels great too).

Since Tremulous' grenades mystically appear from a man's crotch, I don't think cocking them is too far-fetched. :tongue:
Anyway, as Ishq outlined on IRC, cooking is fun when you can shoot the person that cooks it. If you are forced to engage a grenade-cooker in melee combat, I assume it can be very frustrating.

kangz wrote:

I see almost no games where the range is adjusted with the click duration and unless you have some kind of preview of the trajectory it will be very difficult to aime with the grenade.

Good point. I'm not entirely against a trajectory visualization but I prefer having none since it requires more skill.

On the other hand, my proposal has two fixed ranges: The one when you just click once and the one when you press down the button until the throwing animation ends. Everything in between requires more skill

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Cooking the grenade for range instead of time seems okay.