Help us setting confidence thresholds

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Help us setting confidence thresholds

Post by Viech »

Hey, in our next iteration on gameplay we are going to dissipate stages. Every class, weapon, upgrade and structure can have a confidence threshold of its own (or in other words we can easily define an arbitrary number of stages).

For setting the initial thresholds, I'd like to get some input from all of you to lower the impact of my own balance bias.

Please fill in this list and send it to me via forum PM, so I can apply the wisdom of crowds algorithm. You don't need to explain your choice. (Please don't do it. I might want to automatically parse your list if there is a lot of input.)

A threshold of 0 means that the item is available at the start of the match and does not need to be unlocked (and cannot be locked).
A threshold of 100 is roughly what was previously our stage 2.
A threshold of 200 is roughly what was previously our stage 3.

Items that have been unlocked can be locked again when the team idles (and thus loses confidence). The locking threshold is proportional to the unlocking threshold.

Don't assume the current details of the confidence system, it will change significantly. The only thing you should have in mind is that there are three ways to gain confidence: Killing players, building structures and destroying stuctures. Assume that they are balanced in a way that allows all three corresponding strategies (ambush/killwhoring, expanding, rushing) to work about equally well.

Code: Select all

// alien classes
Basilisk:
Basilisk+:
Dragoon:
Dragoon+:
Dretch+:
Granger+:
Marauder:
Marauder+:
Tyrant:

// human weapons
Chaingun:
Flamer:
Grenade:
Lasgun:
Lucifer:
Massdriver:
Painsaw:
Pulserifle:
Shotgun:

// human armor
Battlesuit:
Helmet:
Light armor:

// human upgrades
Battpack:
Jetpack:

// alien buildables
Acid Tube:
Barricade:
Booster:
Hive:
Trapper:

// human buildables
Armory:
Defense Computer:
Medistation:
Repeater:
Tesla:
Turret:

I take it as given that Rifle, Construction Kit, Blaster, Dretch, Granger, Reactor, Overmind, Telenode and Egg have a threshold of 0. (But there is a chance I will sort out your proposal if you set the Armory threshold higher than that of a weapon…)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction