Gameplay Roadmap - 5.1.1.1 Armor reform, radar changes

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Gameplay Roadmap - 5.1.1.1 Armor reform, radar changes

Post by Viech »

5.1.1.1 Armor reform, radar changes wrote:

Helmet and light armor models are used for a single item, also called "light armor". The new light armor's body protection is slightly lower than that of the old light armor, the head protection is lower than that of the old helmet: The carrier survives a single goon headchomp. The price of the new light armor is either equal to or slightly higher than the dretch credit value, so something around 200 credits. (I would set it to 200 for now and consider raising the dretch value to 200 when it gets the pounce ability.) A "medium armor" is added. The head protection level is roughly that of the old helmet, the body protection is slightly higher than that of the old light armor. The price is between that of the light armor and the battlesuit, so something around 300 credits. The battlesuit remains unchanged in ability and price and fills the niche of a heavy armor. Thanks to ddos for the idea.

The radar isn't part of the head protection anymore. It is a seperate item with a price of its own. This will lead to less frequent usage, which is good because it allows aliens to make better use of their stealth abilities. Because of the seperate cost, there is no need to limit its ability like it was done when it was a side effect of the obligatory helmet. The old radar's visualization can make room for a space shooter style in-sight display of target recticles that display additional information such as enemy health. This will not only make the radar more fun to use but it will also increase its teamplay value, since the player who carries it can announce targets based on this knowledge. The radar, like any other item, should be visible on the human model, so it might make sense to make it back-mounted (that would prevent mounting it on a battlesuit though, which I don't find necessary but acceptable, the greater problem may or may not arise from the fact that the radar can't be used together with the jetpack that way, which will make egghunting harder on certain maps). I imagine the radar price to be somewhere around 100 credits.

Ishq wrote:

Human Armor
I still believe that human items need to be separated by location on the body. I think that being able to pick low armor and strong helmet, or vice versa is a choice I'd like people to have. I am for the addition of more armor types in between our light armor + helmet and battlesuit.

Radar
I don't mind moving radar out of the helmet, but I am more wary about changing the radar itself. Things like the radar with a different hue and recticles have been done in other games like Urban Terror, and I think that similar implementations give too much information about the enemy. Our current radar only tells you the general location of the enemy. This new implementation would tell you the exact location of the enemy as well as the class. For instance, in our implementation, you would know that there is an alien around a corner but you have to turn the corner to know the class and the exact position. With the new implementation, you would know that there is a dretch on the edge of the wall before you even turn the corner. You could immediately shoot the dretch before it even has a chance to respond. This is basically wallhacking. Changes to radar are fine, but I really want us to be wary about the information that the radar provides. I think the current radar does a good job of balancing useful information while still allowing the aliens to maintain some element of surprise. At the very least, if the team is absolutely insistent on pursuing this route, I would recommend keeping the current radar priced at 100 credits and moving the advanced radar up to 500-600 credits because such a tool would be absolutely devastating in skilled hands. Although to be honest, this price boost doesn't even matter. All it does is make it harder for new players to get their hands on this, but skilled players could still trivially afford this. There need to be tradeoffs other than price. Perhaps we should continue to keep this coupled with armor, but extremely weak armor.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Anomalous
Programmer

Re: Gameplay Roadmap - 5.1.1.1 Armor reform, radar changes

Post by Anomalous »

Regarding radar – separate the visor from the helmet, make it something like a pair of glasses, possibly with a belt component (which won't interfere with jetpack or battery). This will need model changes, but I expect no changes to the animation files as a consequence.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Ishq
Project Head

Re: Gameplay Roadmap - 5.1.1.1 Armor reform, radar changes

Post by Ishq »

A visor might work only if the human isn't wearing other head protection. it doesn't make sense to wear the visor/radar outside that since it can be damaged easily.