Gameplay Roadmap - 4.1.1.[234] Minimap/[Â…]

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Gameplay Roadmap - 4.1.1.[234] Minimap/[…]

Post by Viech »

4.1.1.2 Displaying friendly players and buildables wrote:

Friendly players in reach are already displayed, but in a public game players will often want to know where on the big map all the fun is happening. Base moves and rushes will also be a lot more coordinated if teammates know where the relevant base is at. All friendly units should show up on the minimap, regardless of distance.

4.1.1.3 Displaying enemy players and buildables wrote:

The minimap should display all enemies that are already visible on the human radar or alien sense. This is simply a matter of intuitive design. Going one step further, it might make sense to also display what all your teammates see. For the human team, this would make the radar even more of a teamplay item. For the aliens, who all have the ability to sense enemies, this should not make a big difference except for being informed about combat situations and learning about the spots that are frequented by enemies.

4.1.1.4 Marking locations wrote:

Placing an "attack here" or "defend this location" marker on your teammates minimap (and possibly HUD) is much more convenient than using chat and naming the relevant room name. This is one of those typical commander mode features that don't really require a dedicated commander, which makes it perfectly suited for our decentralized real time strategy approach.

Ishq wrote:

Minimap – Buildables
This can work out only if we display groups of buildables. Perhaps borrowing concepts from RTS games where they show each buildable as a small rectangle and then allowing it grow to show the size of the build in a particular location. My main concern is that having buildables will clutter the minimap in the main base and such.

Minimap – Enemies
I am strongly against this. I think this gives way too much information about enemies because it gives you their exact position, not just their general direction.

Minimap – Beacons
Yes, I agree. We've had this on our “wish list” for ages.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction