Gampleay Roadmap - 3.1.1.1 Base attack warnings

Request new features or present your ideas.
Viech
Project Head

Gampleay Roadmap - 3.1.1.1 Base attack warnings

Post by Viech »

3.1.1.1 Base attack warnings wrote:

In a public match, there is almost always a player near the main base who can defend it and warn teammates in case of an attack. The warning messages spammed by the defense computer are inprecise and get ignored most of the time. In a scrim, having a defense computer in the main base can save the day, but even if it was available at the beginning of the match it would still require time and resources to build and slow both the team and the match down. A base attack notification should be available all the time, since it only favors an aggressive/active team, while teams who camp or leave a defender in base will already know about attacks. Not requiring a defender will make the game more fun for the player in question and give the forward/base move a higher chance of succeeding.

Here is my solution in short:

• Overmind and reactor issue their first warning at 75\% life and their second warning at 25\%. A third warning is issued when the structure is killed. There's really no point in not giving a team that information, it will either lead to constant checks ("Can I evolve?", "Can I place an egg?", "Does that structure still have power?") or to frustration. Losing the main buildable is critical enough so I see no point in keeping that information secret. Giving a warning on the first scratch was often annoying in pubs and misleading in scrims. It would also be unintuitive if it was a bad thing to hit the main buildable with a graze shot.

• The reactor and repeater inform their team when a structure in their range dies. This allows a sneaky attacker to kill atleast one structure but allows the humans to react before the match gets decided by one lucky attack without any struggle. Giving the repeater the same ability ensures some protection for bigger forwards. (Story explaination: Reactor and repeater notice the voltage peak when the structure stops drawing power, similiar to an RFID reader.)

• The overmind informs the aliens when a structure in its range dies. Aliens don't get a message for structures that die in forwards though. The aliens greater mobility and ability to spam structures should be compensated by a slightly higher risk of losing control.

• All warnings contain information about the location of the event (room name]The warning of the defense computer is removed.

Ishq wrote:

I was initially against this, but giving it some thought, I think it is possible to make this work. However, I would like to simulate a real person checking. Ie, we should have a sample rate of at least 2 seconds to allow killing structures safely and stealthily. Basically, this introduces lag for when a structure is attacked or killed before it is reported. The sample rate can obviously be adjusted to make it more fair/fun.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction