Make it easier to learn to play aliens

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
Caesar

Re: Make it easier to learn to play aliens

Post by Caesar »

lamefun wrote:

Aliens are currently very hard to learn for noobs, as the game denies them the practice.

You would also need to do a humans guide because losing a large gun is essentially the same as a higher class alien.

lamefun wrote:

Take noob humans. Yes, they are confined to riflemanship most of the time, but they still learn the most essential skills as riflemen: aiming, buying armour,dodging all classes of aliens, so they aren't lost when they can afford a bigger gun.

If the new players would read a manual(given there is one, kind of referencing the 1.1 manual), they would learn a lot of valuable information as far as what classes are stronger and more dominant and I feel they would have an easier time getting kills therefor playing humans/aliens more balanced..

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Caesar wrote:

You would also need to do a humans guide because losing a large gun is essentially the same as a higher class alien.

It's not the same. When you lose a large gun, you still have the same movement and dodging controls, so you still can practice using them. And most useful guns have controls similar to rifle or shotgun: put crosshair on the alien, click or hold, so getting used to any gun besides Pulse Rifle or Lucifer Cannon isn't a big problem.

Caesar wrote:

If the new players would read a manual(given there is one, kind of referencing the 1.1 manual), they would learn a lot of valuable information as far as what classes are stronger and more dominant and I feel they would have an easier time getting kills therefor playing humans/aliens more balanced..

Reading about using Dragoon doesn't really replace practice.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Technically the painsaw isn't a gun and you forgot the flame thrower.

My skills with weapons aren't almost the same for each other as you think... These are my recommendations (not always how I fight):

Blaster: Aim ahead according to distance, and when i think i've got him on target, i fire.
Rifle: Spam, and ensure target is on crosshair at all times, else reload.
Painsaw: Hold the button in combat, try to get as close to the opponent as possible and aim at him. If he's running towards you, run sideways then run into him as he gets really close. If he doesn't run from you, circle him. If he runs, strafe jump to him. It's so funny when people are wondering "WTF! How is he that fast! Speedhack!"
Shotgun: "Triggerbot" style. Don't have to always aim on the target, but try to anyway. As the target flies accross the screen, click.
Lasgun: Just spam and aim. Great for chasing down aliens and as a survival weapon. Circling dragoons that are trying to chomp you are effective.
Mdriver: Similar to shotgun, except you have to be precise and is more effective long range. Don't use scope unless the target is hard to see or so.
Chaingun: Similar to lasgun, just don't spam long range. Use blaster in such situations...
Flamer: Honestly, I just use it like a painsaw, except i aim ahead and take notice of my inertia effecting the flamer, and I don't get too close.
Pulse: I use it like a flamethrower, without the inertia part. The closer you are to the opponent, the more effective. Pulse is the third most strongest damage dealing weapon in the game after flamer and painsaw.
Luci: Pretty useless unless there are some dragoons nearby. In such cases, charge up to full, and ensure you've aimed ahead of the target and fire. Prediction matters quite a lot. After firing primary, immediately hold down the secondary fire. If you accidentally didn't fire a full shot at a goon, this secondary will ensure his death in a quick combo.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Yoshi<3

Post by Yoshi<3 »

i'll work on some tutorials once i get going, i used to be quiet the player back in Trem ;)

some of you in the Australian scene might remember me.

but i found aliens to be quiet easy to pick up.
its more of a earnt skill imo starting from dretch to tyrant (which i never really used)

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

ViruS wrote:

How bout we port some 1.1 features to unvanquished such as achievements.... it's like setting goals for newbies...
i.e.
Upon entering his/her first game, he/she is shown a menu/window of currently earnt achievements, with obviously nothing. First one is something like getting your first kill...

That's terrible, why would anyone want to have that?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I dunno. It sets goals?

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

I hate achievements for things that take literally 0 work to do.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

KenuR wrote:

I hate achievements for things that take literally 0 work to do.

I completely disagree.

I really enjoyed the achievement system, some of the achievements where pretty easy to get but there where also some pretty hard ones (like any game that has an achievement system really)

After it was implemented on Aussie Assault it got nothing but good feedback, not one person complained about having achievements, it also became a race to see who could get them all first (it was a lot of fun).

It's just another thing you can add to your bragging rights along with your kdr and base-kill ratio.

You've made it quite obvious on this thread and others that you don't like achievements... ok we get it.. but not everyone agrees with your opinion.

Here is the achievement list we used: http://aussieassault.net/statistics/achievements

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

I simply stated my opinion on the subject.
And why are you saying "we"? Speak for yourself.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

First one: Majority of us
2nd one: Aussie Assault community

ImageImageYou[TubeImage