game speed is way too fast

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
monstercameron

game speed is way too fast

Post by monstercameron »

playing as a human and shooting at the aliens, I am finding it hard because the player model moves fast and the alien moves even faster. Is it me or does the big aliens move at the same speed as the tiny ones?

maybe you guys can adjust game speed down about 10-20% and give each model its own speed or maybe as a server option to adjust speed.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Re: game speed is way too fast

Post by velociostrich »

This is not an uncommon complaint. I could see a separate newbie server with slower gamespeed being helpful.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

The speed is kind of a feature. If you are coming from modern first person shooters it might take some getting used to but it is doable. You have to bear in mind that any change to the speed will have a large effect on balance as the aliens are melee oriented and the humans are ranged. So as you slow down the aliens they become less and less effective. I think training at slower speeds would only lead to frustration when you leave the training servers and it would lead to people wanting to have the lower speed in all games. A better way to train is to train at full speed against people who are on your skill level.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

I'm guessing you haven't played a lot of quake-orientated games.
But yeah as janev said, this is a lot different to modern fps games where you are pretty much stationary when shooting, and getting hits is really easy.
It's just something you actually need to play for a while and get used to.

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron »

I have played many idtech/quake/arena shooters but I frequent urban terror and even though it is fast it isn't as frenetic as this game...but I will follow this project and see how it goes

danmal

Post by danmal »

I've heard some complaints that the humans look a bit silly running so quickly. Personally I think lowering the speed of humans/aliens might be ok as long as it doesn't screw up dodging/combat.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

janev wrote:

your skill level.

Of course, all on your skill level will not work. N00bs are really bad at building, so you'd need a fairly steady stream of benevolent experienced users to build, and teach building. I suggest that you make lvl 0 admins denybuilded by default. This would keep those who know nothing about the game from building until they understand it better, while still allowing them to build if necessary.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Seana, yeah you advance in skill by playing against people on a slightly higher level. In this scenario a loss can teach you just as much as a win. This does not however apply when you are getting owned too fast to learn anything. That happens when skill difference is too great and it is frustrating. Both for the person doing the owning and for the person getting owned.

Anyway... monstercameron check out this youtube video. It's from back in the tremulous days but illustrates that it is possible to play quite well at these speeds.

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czfDEb9XfMs&[/video]

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

Oh, the good ol' days of lagged competitive play. Here's to such a scene for Unvanquished! raises toast

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron »

I don't want to make myself unwelcomed in this forum but I was just watching a few videos of natural selection 2 and the gameplay is much slower than this game and looks like a load of fun...I know they are farther along in developement but the whole quake 3 speed / arena shooter(I know I keep repeating this) gameplay mechanics have slowed down compared to the slower, ever so slightly more tactical design that is closer to half life rather than quake. I think your ties to the past -namely tremulous- are stopping you guys from making something more modern, but hey...that's just my opinion.