game speed is way too fast

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
janev
Marauder

Re: game speed is way too fast

Post by janev »

Well yeah, many of us have a tremulous background. For my part the fast action was something I really enjoyed about it, and would like to see carried over. Call it a bias if you like but that's just how I roll. It set the game apart from pretty much everything else available at the time. Modern, slow paced shooters with realism elements thrown in, and symmetrical gameplay were to be had by the dozen. They still are and still don't interest me. I wanted something fast paced with a real learning curve.

"More modern" for the sake of being more modern is not something necessarily to strive for. We want to create a fun game. If slowing things down makes things more fun it's worth considering. I don't think slowing things down would make it more fun though. That is what makes it interesting. Also unvanquished should stand out from the competition. I don't see how taking heavy cues from natural selection would do that. You can shake things up and do things differently without changing the tempo of the game. If modern games are slow paced then in my opinion, we should take things in a different direction so as not to be buried amongst the pack. We want to STAND OUT.

As for making yourself unwelcome I don't think you've managed to do that yet, but you have given quite a bit of gameplay feedback based on how many hours of gameplay? Input from new players is valued, but don't expect people to move mountains to put your feature in. Even minor changes take a long time to implement and an even longer time to balance. For your suggestions to be taken seriously you need to have a well thought out plan, with a clear plan for how that will impact gameplay and more importantly how it will benefit the game. "It would make unvanquished more like game X" is not enough.

In future you might want to refrain from saying things like "the devs are biased and unable to move on" and calling the game "yet another arena shooter". Especially considering only one or two people have responded to your ideas and a melee vs ranged RTS/FPS is anything but yet another shooter. Just sayin. ;)

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Multiple game modes is something that has been discussed multiple times in the past; should we ever implement that, I could see a slower variant being made for sake of new players. I honestly have found that after playing faster paced (than Tremulous) Quake-style games, Tremulous actually felt a bit slow.

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

velociostrich wrote:

I honestly have found that after playing faster paced (than Tremulous) Quake-style games, Tremulous actually felt a bit slow.

It can feel slow even after regular ol' Q3A.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

lol.

But everyone should know this, with the faster speeds relativity to other games, the hit box sizes are "fatter" than other games so i'd say it's balanced.
This is probably why some australians complain so much about unlagged, it being so easy to hit etc. etc.

But man, i wish there was multiple official game mods in unv like "realism" which makes it so you don run[people say 'walk' because the 'sprint' is considered 'running' to some people] 10 m/s and fall 12 m/s etc. and use realistic values, while another mod could be an adventure/ambush mod etc. That'd be awsome.

Anyway, welcome to fast-paced gaming.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Langerz30

Post by Langerz30 »

Sorry for Necro.

Make it configurable in the Room setup options. Let the players decide what speed they want to set the pace at.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Langerz30 wrote:

Make it configurable in the Room setup options. Let the players decide what speed they want to set the pace at.

The server admin could expirement with the timescale command, though that will unlikely be an ideal solution.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

There is g_speed.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ishq wrote:

There is g_speed.

Not sure what that does but changing only movement speed and not fire rate and the like favors the human team more strongly than timescale.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

darkitten

Post by darkitten »

part of the problem might be the time it takes to get down a hallway and round a corner.. if you have 2hp and 1 bullet kills you..