Player's arms move too much

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
rocknroll237

Player's arms move too much

Post by rocknroll237 »

Yo, is there a way of controlling how much the player's arms move from side to side. It's driving me insane!

ViruS
Granger

Re: Player's arms move too much

Post by ViruS »

cg_drawguns 1, or 0. 2 is for alien arms.
Apparently the arms are slower and at normal speed in demos though, so its probably a ping-related problem like how my shotgun fires twice per second on NA server.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

rocknroll237

Post by rocknroll237 »

Hmmm, they still move from side-to-side very quickly and it looks a bit fake. I think the devs should reduce the movement a bit. :D

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

On a private server, rant's speed looks o.k. but still robot-y. Marauders, basi and goon 'choppers' dont work on LAN, even without my visual mod and the outdated vms. [noted in my visual mod alpha 6-7 updates, theres a buglist specifically for unvanquished (not my mod) for developers at the bottom of that file]

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

Are you referring to how the alien arms move while you walk around? Are there any particular classes that stand out in particular as unnatural looking? Thanks for the feedback.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Kynes, the greater the ping you have, the more obvious it is. If you code, i guess you could try making a client-side hacky ping raising tool of some sort.
I'm sure this teleporting arm swiping business is related to the bug where i can fire my shotgun 5 times a second.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

The animation should be entirely clientside and completely unaffected by ping. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Kynes wrote:

completely unaffected by ping.

I forgot to say, the sound is also effected, on tremulous as well. Its also noticable when you clip into other players and shoot at the same time.

I'll upload a video of choppers once my internet goes back to normal (14th) and i'll post a link here when it is finished. Fraps reduce unv's fps to at least 20 in battle when using the cheapest video settings, so it will be a bit hard to see. Demos show what spectators see [its traced back and does not record partial or client-side warps, i posted a thing about it a long time ago on trem forums] so that won't do.
If anyone knows how to make it so gameplay fps isn't half of what fraps records, that'll be great. (e.g. i see 10 fps, fps meter shows 20. I proved this by making a circle every 4 frames, in the fraps recording, it showed a diamond with 2 frames a turn)

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Regardless of the root cause, I do agree that something about the animations looks off, though I suspect the (linear?) interpolation between keyframes to be part of the issue. Because of how fast they are, they really ought to be created and exported from Blender at a high framerate so interpolation is kept to a minimum. I don't know what framerate they were created at.

rocknroll237

Post by rocknroll237 »

I get excessive arm swinging on a local server (as well as online).

I haven't tested any alien arms yet (I think I need to type in that special command), but just take a look at how much the rifle moves about when running (standard human class), it's crazy! :D