Various quirks noticed by a new player

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
Nanaa
Dretch

Various quirks noticed by a new player

Post by Nanaa »

Hi, I've been playing for a few days and had fun. Thanks for the awesome remake! I used to play Tremulous and been following you for some years. Here's some feedback:

- Unvanquished updater's Download-button also install the game to default dir without user's consent. It should read "Download & install" instead with installation path under it and Cog-button brought down next it. Nice installer otherwise!
- Armory's grey texts are sometimes hard to differ from the background.
- Build points in lower right corner are hard to notice. Could have "build points" or "BP" next to them. Lower left corner build point info draws all the attention I guess.
- Humans can jump very high with the help of pipes on the floor. Sprint and jump right before colliding with them and you're launched to the upper floor as if you rocket jumped. I don't remember which map had these pipes though. It looks like a bug but also could be left as an interesting mechanic - the ramp jump.
- Humans' walk animation is a bit funky at least when looked at with fresh eyes. Knees are in 45 degree angles to the sides instead of pointing relatively straight forward.
- Binds for switching weapons cannot be changed in key bindings. Mouse wheel seems to be hardcoded to this. There aren't binds for primary and secondary weapons either.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Various quirks noticed by a new player

Post by illwieckz »

Hi, welcome!
Unvanquished updater's Download-button also install the game to default dir without user's consent.
You mean consenting to the default path? Because the download itself is not done without user's consent.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

illwieckz wrote:Hi, welcome!
Unvanquished updater's Download-button also install the game to default dir without user's consent.
You mean consenting to the default path? Because the download itself is not done without user's consent.
Yes, installing to default path came as a surprise. I assumed that Download button would only download game files in some temp location and then later on I could proceed with installation and choose install dir.
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

I see, yes we may print the target path somewhere, like:

Code: Select all

Will install to “/home/john/.local/share/unvanquished/base” [change].
And clicking that button or even the whole text would have the same effect as clicking the top-right gear button to open preferences.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

@illwieckz Sounds good!

Nanaa wrote: - Humans can jump very high with the help of pipes on the floor. Sprint and jump right before colliding with them and you're launched to the upper floor as if you rocket jumped. I don't remember which map had these pipes though. It looks like a bug but also could be left as an interesting mechanic - the ramp jump.
The map is Forlorn beta 1. Recorded a demo of this. Could be a bit imbalanced movement mechanic since it allows humans to juke aliens by jumping back and forth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kTtRYk ... _4eUW/view