WhiteTech's First Impressions

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
WhiteTech
Mantis

WhiteTech's First Impressions

Post by WhiteTech »

Love it. But here's some stuff, in my opinion of course, that needs some changing. As well as the stuff I liked

I love the new Rant, Dretch, Tube and all the human models, the tweaked Mara jumping, and the smaller head hit box.

But,

For aliens who's main attack is a bite, they'd have strong and large jaw muscles right? The Goon and Mara have tiny mouths..... Seems odd....

I like the Profiles idea, but they should only save Key layouts/binds/mouse settings and screen name. Graphical settings should be common through the client. I can't tell you how much I hate BattleField 2142 because it does the same thing with each of your characters, and every time you change your settings for each character, you need to wait like 10 mins for the shaders to optimize.

I get a settings menu when the game starts up, it doesn't do anything, so I go into options and change stuff there, then go into my profile and change more stuff there, and then I go in game and change more stuff there.... again odd... And I feel like the main menu option screen should have all the settings as the in-game one has.

The vanilla HUD is a bit in your face, but most people get new HUDs anyway.

Sidenote: are the turrets tweaked in Unva? They seem extremely powerful....

danmal

Re: WhiteTech's First Impressions

Post by danmal »

Menus: I believe they're getting changed. There's a lot of bugs/weird behavior going on with them and a lot of options aren't available. We probably need a mockup for the new menus.

HUD: This is being changed. I can't remember who's working on it but someone is and it looks fairly decent so far.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Nice to see you again. I recognize you from GPP.

Regarding the HUD, a new one is in development by Gireen. You won't have to worry about that shortly.

Regarding turrets, no, they weren't tweaked.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Yes I wasn't too worried about the HUD, I think the priority would be the menu/settings/profiles right now. It's nearly makes my game unplayable for me sometimes, as for the alien models, personal preference I guess, I do get over critical most times.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

The reason I kept graphical settings different per profile is because some people may have different needs. For instance, you can use profiles to quickly change between custom graphic presets, altering cvars that are not altered by Unvanquished graphic quality selector.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Fair enough, it wasn't working for me though, I put all my settings in for my profile, set it as default and when I launched the client again, all but a few re-set.... For some reason I get a settings menu opened as soon as I start the game, but you can't change any settings with it. Loading my profile doesn't do much, I have to manually set all my settings again. All it seems to save it my screen name

On another side note, A particle count limiter might be nice. At one point with 3 lucis, a pulse and a few tubes going off, I was getting 15-22 fps on a overclocked ATI 5790. Which plays any game on max no problem....

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

WhiteTech wrote:

For aliens who's main attack is a bite, they'd have strong and large jaw muscles right? The Goon and Mara have tiny mouths..... Seems odd....

Love comparing this to that massive arm of the tyrant. It kinda looks like the tyrant model's ideas were ripped of something else like chogath or whatever his name was...

WhiteTech wrote:

Fair enough, it wasn't working for me though, I put all my settings in for my profile, set it as default and when I launched the client again, all but a few re-set....

I already posted this a while back, no one seems to notice..:

http://unvanquished.net/forum/showthrea ... togens-etc

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I believe that if profile.pid is not deleted in the profile folder (and it will be deleted upon a clean shutdown), it thinks that Unvanquished crashes and resets settings to make sure you start up properly. This behavior will be modified.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Thats probably why...
Make an exec that resets the autogen for the people who don't know how to rather than have it auto-reset when there is a crash.. :(

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

ViruS wrote:

Love comparing this to that massive arm of the tyrant. It kinda looks like the tyrant model's ideas were ripped of something else like chogath or whatever his name was...

http://unvanquished.net/forum/showthrea ... togens-etc

I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not :l But it makes sense seeing as the tyrant uses its arm to attack.....

@ Ishq, I've been thinking. Generally how many people play Unvanquished on the same computer? And most people just have the graphics at the max that their machine can handle. I'd say keep the profiles right now, then add the graphical feature when it's properly working. Im not playing Unva too much right now, it gets alittle frustrating with all the changing settings. Instead of everything at once, maybe we should get gameplay and graphics down before minor things like menus....