Introducing the granger

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Introducing the granger

Post by kharnov »

Today, let's look at the granger!

ImageTo say that the granger is a cherished part of our community's history would be an understatement. With six beady, black eyes and stubby short legs, not to mention a soft white underbelly, the granger is much adored by those that have come to appreciate its delightful gurgling and comparatively non-threatening appearance. Of course, those that don't adore it are likely to shoot at it, but we don't talk about those people. Unlike the other aliens, the granger is entirely dedicated to construction tasks, with its sole means of self-defense originating in its ability to slowly bite at you and spit weak blobs of creep.

Our goal with the new granger is to update and toughen up its appearance while keeping the original as an inspiration. As you can tell in the concept art that Khaos made, the granger still has its beady, black eyes and those stubby legs and white underbelly. It's still as green as it always was. However, the granger is much more detailed than it used to be, fitting in with our art style, which is much more realistic than our predecessor. Our granger has armor plating, and will very likely be incorporating its arms into its weak melee attacks. The intent is to have a creature that can look both sturdy and cute.

ImageThe new granger is being modeled by Casey, a new modeler to join our team. He's doing an excellent job on the model, providing the granger with a great amount of detail. As of yesterday I've approved of some final changes to his high-poly model, meaning that this will be the version of the granger that we'll all be seeing in-game later on. Now that the sculpt is ready, he'll be going through the retopology process to reduce the tris count, and sometime after that it'll be time for texturing. Once we have the granger textured and ready to animate, you can expect to see it in a future update. Until then, keep the gurgly green one in your hearts!

Click here to read this article on the main site!

StalKermit
Dragoon

Re: Introducing the granger

Post by StalKermit »

Grangers were cool until it was taken too far :(

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

keep up the good work and dont let tim anywhere near this

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

cover two eyes...... krogan

Jaroth

Post by Jaroth »

You sir, deserve my like... xD

Jaroth

Post by Jaroth »

I dont like the model much, maybe when you start the texture, i will like it more, but idk, its the second model i dont like of Unvanquished...

1 is the mara, and the other is this...

Im not going to judge because i dont know how to use model programs, keep working in the game, but prepare if fans of the original tremulous doesnt like it

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Don't worry it's just not textured yet, the granger has a lot of potential.

That's just with a little bit of colour with photoshop.

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

No matter how nice and lovely that bug be, like the other bugs, she will also taste my lasgun, after kill her slowly, ill burn all her eggs, leaving her childless. No mercy for her.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

{get} that granger!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

Jaroth wrote:

You sir, deserve my like... xD

/tip fedora