Working on new default bindings

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Working on new default bindings

Post by Viech »

I could bind crouch and sprint to x and c, too, but I'd like to keep a reachable bind for buying rifle and ckit. Since I put sprint/sneak on SHIFT I could make SHIFT+x rifle and SHIFT+c ckit. So that would leave us with SHIFT and x for sprint and CTRL, ALT and c for crouch/wallwalk.

kharnov, while building binds are comfortable I think that buy binds are of greater importance for newbes as the build menu is far easier to use than the buying dialog, where you have to manually sell stuff first.

freem, I guess we could ship different localized layouts that can be parsed via the exec command or automatically later on. Feel free to make a flexible, beginner friendly setting for french keyboards.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

I find that buy -all rifle is a very useful bind to have.

:blaster: :rifle: :human:

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Viech wrote:

CTRL is free, I'll add crouch to it, too. Having it on ALT is especially nice for using the jetpack, so you can change height with your thumb.[...]

This is brilliant. :thumbup:

Viech wrote:

[...]For the french keyboard, I could add the buy binds to the keypad. Does that sound good freem?

This is not necessary, we will just have to replace 1 by &, 2 by é, and so on. In addition there will be other small changes to adapt the bindings file to french.

Ishq wrote:

[...]walk (toggle bind) (Don't use it in battles, use it to get back stamina, thus is more toggle is more useful)[...]

Clearly a good tip.

Ishq wrote:

[...]number keys can be used to buy AND switch to weapons. makes more sense imo.

In my opinion too.

Freem wrote:

[...](there is also the issue of wasd which became zqsd, so it can not be avoided to have multiple default configurations depending on selected layout).

I strongly agree, the differences between qwerty and azerty — BÉPO? :tongue: — , and more generally between the different keyboard layouts require multiple bindings files.

ViruS wrote:

[...]vsay - enemy om/rc is down = f5
- Defend/base under attack = f6
- needhealth = m (same as medkit)
- basestatus = f7
Sorry = f8[...]

Indeed, and perhaps also some chat binds such as:

Code: Select all

bind F5           if !shift,!alt say_team "The base is safe." say_team "Defend/the base is under attack!"

teambind aliens F6           if !shift,!alt say_team "Enemy reactor smoking! Rush!" say_team "Enemy reactor down! Finish them!"
teambind humans F6           if !shift,!alt say_team "Enemy Overmind damaged! Rush!" say_team "Enemy Overmind down! Finish them!"

teambind aliens F7           if !shift,!alt say_team "One enemy telenode down." say_team "No eggs."
teambind humans F7           if !shift,!alt say_team "One enemy egg down." say_team "No telenodes."

bind F8           if !shift,!alt say "No problem." vsay "sorry"

I also suggest to put the structure's building binds on the wheel's scrolling. :love:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Can't really use the mousewheel for anything since the newbe bindings need to allow scrolling through equipment. I personally have buying armor and alien vsays on the mousewheel but buildables sound useful, too. As soon as we introduce suitable ingame menus we can think about using the mousewheel for something like that.

Vsay binds on F5-F10 sound good, I'd go with "watch out, grenade", "incoming/defend", "clear" (unfortunately not a vsay yet), "rush" on F5-F8 and maybe "sorry" and "you're welcome" on F9-F10.

I don't see a point in switching to a weapon with the number keys since you only carry one of them as well as the blaster and you can switch between them with f.

I don't think taunt and rally are important for newbes and to be honest I don't know the difference between them. Having f for dretch is the blaster equivalent for alien builders, having g for granger is just consistent and easy to remember.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Viech wrote:

Can't really use the mousewheel for anything since the newbe bindings need to allow scrolling through equipment. I personally have buying armor and alien vsays on the mousewheel but buildables sound useful, too. As soon as we introduce suitable ingame menus we can think about using the mousewheel for something like that.

Vsay binds on F5-F10 sound good, I'd go with "watch out, grenade", "incoming/defend", "clear" (unfortunately not a vsay yet), "rush" on F5-F8 and maybe "sorry" and "you're welcome" on F9-F10.

I don't see a point in switching to a weapon with the number keys since you only carry one of them as well as the blaster and you can switch between them with f.

I don't think taunt and rally are important for newbes and to be honest I don't know the difference between them. Having f for dretch is the blaster equivalent for alien builders, having g for granger is just consistent and easy to remember.

Why do we even need for people to scroll through equipment? Just have a bind for medikit, grenade, and jetpack and you're all good.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

seana11 wrote:

Why do we even need for people to scroll through equipment? Just have a bind for medikit, grenade, and jetpack and you're all good.

Sometimes it's a lot easier to scroll to select rather than remember a particular bind.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

seana11 wrote:

I want to get rid of the scroll menu, too, but a replacement requires more than adding the bindings. We still have to display the available equipment and for new players we should also display the binding next to it. Until the HUDs get reimplemented on top of librocket, we should give newbes the ability to scroll through their equipment, even if this is inefficient. This has the added benefit that the mousewheel can be used to spectate teammates.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

I dont see alien wall walk in there or is that shared with crouch? That needs to be something easy like ctrl, shift, or alt. C has traditionally been used for crouch but causes bad finger gymnastics.

For what it is worth I use a trackball with 2 mouse keys and no scrollwheel. I like to have options for cycling weapons and activating upgrades.

Buy and evolve binds should come standard. Good job!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, crouch and wallwalk are the same key.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

I use Shift for crouch / wallwalk. IMO it's far better position than the default.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!