human vs human or alien vs alien possibility

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: human vs human or alien vs alien possibility

Post by ViruS »

Trem had mods for these, so I think we can leave that to community modders in the future. But I agree with the idea, supposidly samual mentioned about the possiblity of putting multiple game modes with his help. I actually have no idea what he currently contributes though, but he does seem busy with his xonotic project...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

I agree that this wold be nice to set up. Having humans with no infighting seems somewhat suspicious, although the aliens could be delt with. Having maps with 3 teams would also spice things up a bit.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Team limitation is hardly a design problem. Adding a whole team, which needs concept art, models, textures, rigging, and animation, would take at least another year, more likely another year and a half or two years.

I'm sure somebody can figure out a human-human or an alien-alien mode, which is perfectly reasonable, but that would be for later. On the other hand, if you're suggesting using one of the existing teams multiple times, I don't see the point. What would be the fun in having two human teams and one alien team against each other, or some other combination? It would get very confusing, and there are much better ways to address team imbalances than going to that extent.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Furthermore, while it certainly is possible, there simply is no point. If you want a human vs human game, there are countless others that can do it much better. An alien vs alien game would certainly be a boring game. I won't stop anyone from working on this, but it is unlikely that this will be a focus by this devteam.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

kharnov wrote:

I'm sure somebody can figure out a human-human or an alien-alien mode, which is perfectly reasonable, but that would be for later. On the other hand, if you're suggesting using one of the existing teams multiple times, I don't see the point. What would be the fun in having two human teams and one alien team against each other, or some other combination? It would get very confusing, and there are much better ways to address team imbalances than going to that extent.

I meant multiple factions to be fighting each other all at once, some of which happen to be the same species. Given that at some point this game is going to have a plot, something more nonlinear than simply fighting the aliens again and again, only this time with TYRANTS! It also gives something interesting from the multiplayer side of things, where a map or two could incorporate this. I'm not saying that this should be a core gameplay mechanic, or even something that gets implemented soon, just something that should be kept in mind while coding, so as not to make such an endeavor uneccessarily hard.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Please elaborate on how you feel this would make things interesting.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Given that at some point this game is going to have a plot

I don't think that unv is going to have a plot. Seeing as it's such a small dev team, it would be almost impossible to create a decent plot/campaign that doesn't bring down the whole game. It doesn't need a campaign. The multiplayer experience is all that matters.

RedGuff

Post by RedGuff »

Hello.
Another similar improvement made possible, after the hard-coding 'd be corrected: {Blue aliens and blue humans} versus {red aliens and red humans}.
(No denaturation of the game!)
Thanks.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

RedGuff wrote:

Hello.
Another similar improvement made possible, after the hard-coding 'd be corrected: {Blue aliens and blue humans} versus {red aliens and red humans}.
(No denaturation of the game!)
Thanks.

What the Flying Grangers?
Why didn't this come up before, Ever? I mean, 3team mod (2nd human team), third race mod (completely different species of aliens), hvh (instagib, dtrem's, wogomo's...), race (bob's oc) but having humans and aliens cooperate to fight another set of aliens and humans... never heard that idea pop up.

WoGoMo once had a red vs blue, but that was just blue humans vs red aliens...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage