New here...a few questions

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
AnyLastWords

New here...a few questions

Post by AnyLastWords »

So I've been away from tremulous for a while. After like seven years, I pretty much gave up all hopes of seeing a 1.2 for tremulous. The devs for 1.2 moved so tediously slow that I stopped taking them seriously. Plus the updates began to grow farther and farther apart and, from what I've seen, the tremulous website hasn't been updated since September. I have noticed that there appear to be two competing projects for a new version of tremulous. What's the difference between them? Also I wanted to compliment whoever made the models for acid tube, trapper, tyrant, and dretch. They're impressive and I'm excited to see them in game. Anyways, when will there be a release with some new content? I'm anxious to see what this is going to look like...also my computer is a total piece of garbage...I mean honestly, the thing's a dinosaur and at this point it would probably make a better paperweight than it would a computer...It can, however, run tremulous. I was wondering if the new engine you're working on is going to be too much for a low end piece of crap computer like mine...Am I going to be able to run Unvanquished on my paperweight?

danmal

Re: New here...a few questions

Post by danmal »

There should be some new assets for alpha 3 (check here). The main difference between Unv and Tremz atm is the development model (TremZ is much more closed/private then Unv). Unvanquished supports the old Tremulous renderer so if you can run Tremulous you should be able to run Unvanquished (you may not get all the new fancy effects however).

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I'm glad you came to check us out! TremZ and Unvanquished used to be one project, but differences in ethics and open source philosophy drove a wedge between the two factions. All the developers except, 3 or 4 joined Unvanquished after the split.

The TremZ devteam is notorious for being rude and being downright dishonest. They do things like take Halo 3 ranks, recolor them, and claim them as their own, or taking a Lara Croft model found on the internet, and showing it off as though they made it.

Moreover, the open source philosophy, the Unvanquished devteam wants to be as open and transparent as possible. We have our source code available so everyone can see what we are doing and help us out if they feel like it, whereas the TremZ devteam has always focused on secrecy. Nothing they have has is open: neither their engine nor their list of developers. All it does is create doubt that they even have a game.

Thanks for the compliments about our models, we think they are awesome and can't wait to include them in our upcoming releases.

As for your computer, for the most part, computers capable of running Tremulous will be able to run Unvanquished, though you may have to use lower quality models or you will be forced to run the game at a ridiculously slow speed.

ninjaedit: danmal beat me to the post!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Remember all of those awesome guns that Stannum made for 1.2, the ones that people drooled over on the old forums? They're all in Unvanquished, since he's part of our development team.

GeneralScott

Post by GeneralScott »

Ehm... Kharnov. That's just not true, Stannum isn't on either development team, and either game can use his models. He said so himself.

To the OP:

Unvanquished and TremZ started out as the same game, but they split awhile ago because the developers had conflicting desires for the final product.
Unvanquished is going to be more like 1.1
TremZ is going to be more GPP based styled gameplay wise.

At this point in the development, Unvanqushed has good models for the dragoon, dretch, trapper, human, and some human guns made my Stannum. They consist of most of the original developers from the mother project.

The TremZ team has the same guns as Unvanqushed but have decided to start again from square one essentially models wise. Currently topics are open on the TremZ forum that allow anyone to have a say in model/storyline development in the General category of their forum. The TremZ team also has quite a few developers from game communities other than Tremulous, but I'm not going to provide any specifics. Their previous work is really darn good. I was suspicious of their claims also, so I sent some PMs on deviantart and other modeling sites, and lo and behold what the team says is true.

Both games use pretty much the same engine, with TremZ using OpenWolf and Unvanqushed using Daemon, a fork of OpenWolf. The engines are probably going to become more and more different as time goes on, but as of now they're pretty similar. Both support switching to the old Tremulous renderer, so your paperweight should have no problem with either game! :)

At this point arguing about which is best is completely pointless, because neither are really in a stage of being finished in any way. Tremz is probably going to be out a lot later than Unvanqushed also, because it started from scratch after the split.

I hope to have provided an unbiased response to your original question strictly in terms of development of the game rather than history or morals, since both sides claim they're on the top of each argument.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Not quite. We plan to fix flaws present in 1.1 and introduced in GPP. Our gameplay will be like neither 1.1 nor GPP.

Also,

Ehm... Kharnov. That's just not true, Stannum isn't on either development team, and either game can use his models. He said so himself.

He said he doesn't mind his models being used in either project, but he is credited as a developer for Unvanquished. We have no issues with him being a developer for both sides should he choose so.

Erwin Rommel

Post by Erwin Rommel »

GeneralScott wrote:

The TremZ team has the same guns as Unvanqushed but have decided to start again from square one essentially models wise.

Not to be belligerent or confrontational, but TremZ didn't decide anything when it came to models. The original creator of the models removed his permission for TremZ to use the models.

So, yes TremZ is starting over model wise, but it would be a stretch to say that they were doing so for purely artistic reasons.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

AnyLastWords wrote:

I have noticed that there appear to be two competing projects for a new version of tremulous. What's the difference between them?

Our development model is open. At any time, you can join our development IRC channel, or check out the latest source code from our repository. You can check up on our progress any time you'd like, and we'll happily answer any questions you have and take any input into consideration. We aren't hiding anything, so you can form your own, objective conclusions about the state of the Unvanquished project.

It's impossible to say anything conclusive about the TremZ folk, other than the fact that they're very closed off. Questioning them about development or their motives will rapidly lead to your thread being locked, and often your account being banned, so that their designated public relations guy can take a chance to write out a lengthy series of bizarre claims and misinformation with impunity. I'm upset to see that they locked your thread. We don't do that here.

The way I see it, and this is my own subjective opinion, is that you have one team with proven content, regular progress updates, and respect for the community. The other team has claims of content, cracks down on dissenting opinions, and has an opaque development model.

Does this answer your question?

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

GeneralScott wrote:

I'm vastly interested as to where you got this information from.