Muzzle blast

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Muzzle blast

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Is there any way to reduce the muzzle blast from human weapons? They obscure too much of the screen and makes even more difficult to follow the target.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Re: Muzzle blast

Post by Khaoz »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

Is there any way to reduce the muzzle blast from human weapons? They obscure too much of the screen and makes even more difficult to follow the target.

THIS.
1000X THIS, I've been saying this since day one.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Joke answer: cg_drawguns 0

In all seriousness though, this is a good idea. The muzzle flash does get a little overbearing at times.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Ah so I wasn't alone...

I don't mind the Lucifer Cannon having a huge blast, but the rest of the weapons needs to have the muzzle blast reduced or at least make them more transparent.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

Yes. You should be able to edit the particle/trail script for each weapon to alter this. When I have time I'll track down which file it is that you need to change.

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

...but the rest of the weapons [i.e., other than the luci] needs to have the muzzle blast reduced or at least make them more transparent.

I'm not totally sure about all the weapons, but the rifle's muzzle flash, at least, is transparent. I don't recall if it is HDR rendering or bloom, though, that makes them appear a bit more opaque (and can also make them look rather ugly, like this).

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Yeah it's mainly the rifle I find this annoys me with

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Maybe a cvar for muzzle flash size, and alpha (opacity)? It's possible for me to do via configs but it won't work on pure servers.
Also, that does look pretty distracting with the GL3 renderer. I have practically no problems with the vanilla though.
Maybe reduce the dynamic light intensity. To me it's like this: You stare at a ground, then at the torch that's lighting the ground. It appears the ground is "brighter" than the torch. Realistically most guns don't really give off a muzzle flash that's visible to the naked eye, just puffs of smoke probs.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

Realistically most guns don't really give off a muzzle flash that's visible to the naked eye, just puffs of smoke probs.

This minigun demonstration doesn't show much muzzel flash in the first two clips, but there definitely is a lot in the second. It really depends on the type of propellant you use, as some can have a lot of flash, while others have next to none.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

It also depends on the presence of flash suppressor.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

yeah.
45 shots / second? Holy fuck that's faster than our server default fps!

I kinda noticed that it kinda fired slower over different clips, maybe wear and tear...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage