Aliens of Unvanquished

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Aliens of Unvanquished

Post by kharnov »

This week, I'll be going over the progress we currently have on the alien player models.

Much like in Tremulous, Unvanquished possesses a main sequence of alien forms from the diminutive, poisonous dretch to the enormous, powerful tyrant. In addition, there is a base construction form, the granger. However, this may very well be where similarities end, as we're taking things in a different direction, both with art style and gameplay mechanics. For one, we will be adding new forms as the gameplay design progresses, and we will also be changing the function of existing forms. You can also expect aliens to be renamed at some point.

In regards to the art style, we're going for a gradient of insectoid to reptilian, at least on the mainline aliens. As you can probably tell already, the dretch is the starting point of this gradient, and the tyrant is at the other end. Between, there will be a mix of these features. The non-mainline aliens, the granger and the vulture, will both have their own style appropriate for their size in relation to the other aliens.

Now, here is the current state of our alien team, along with who's working on what and where we expect to take things. We'll start with the main sequence, and the other forms will be at the end.

DretchImageDesigned by:Gregstein (concept), Dandoombuggy (model), gavlig (animation)

Where is it currently?We consider the dretch to be mostly complete. The model looks exactly how we want it to, and the animations are done. All we need to do now is create a new set of sounds for it, as well as some sort of first-person attack effect.

What's next?The dretch will likely retain its gameplay role, which is to stealthily take out lone humans with a well-placed bite to the head. However, we're still thinking of ways to alter it. One idea that has been floating around internally is to give it some sort of pounce. We'll also need to figure out ways to make it more intuitive for new players.

BasiliskImageDesigned by:Sewer Hrehorowicz (concept)

Where is it currently?The basilisk remains a concept sketch, but we're going to get to modeling it very soon. As you can tell from the general shape, it's going to be somewhat mantis-like in appearance, which fits its role very well. Unlike the dretch before it, the head has a more reptilian shape, but retains the pairs of insectoid eyes.

What's next?Once we approve a finished model based on the design, we'll show off progress shots of it while it's being textured. Then, of course, we'll animate it and stick it in-game for your grabbing pleasure. Gameplay-wise, the basilisk will almost definitely remain a stealthy trapping form, although we'll likely alter the way the poison gas and healing effects work.

MarauderImageDesigned by:Sewer Hrehorowicz (concept), Osiris (model)

Where is it currently?The model is finished, and this is our first public release of what it looks like. It isn't textured yet, but we're in the process of coming up with a color scheme for it. Being mid-way on the gradient between the dretch and tyrant, the marauder has a more reptilian appearance to the eyes, jaws, and exposed muscles, while the limbs and carapace retain the insectoid look.

What's next?After we figure out which colors we'd like it to use, it will be textured and animated. Gameplay-wise, the marauder will still be the jumping assault form you've all grown to love, but we're still coming up with ways to diversify it. One possibility we've discussed is swapping out the lightning with some sort of rolling/diving attack.

DragoonImageDesigned by:Khaos (concept), Matt Berg (model)

Where is it currently?We're close to finishing the base model, which shouldn't take much longer. Again, this is the first public release of what it looks like, but keep in mind that it's still in-progress. The dragoon has more reptilian features than the marauder, which you can tell from the shape of the head and the exposed body mass. A few insectoid features remain in the carapace and the ends of the limbs.

What's next?After the model is done, you can expect it to be promptly textured and animated. Of course, the dragoon is definitely retaining its pounce attack, but we're still open to figuring out other things to do with it. We may, for instance, swap the dragoon barb out with something else. It depends on where our gameplay design discussions take us.

TyrantImageDesigned by:Gregstein (concept), Dandoombuggy (model), gavlig (animation)

Where is it currently?Basically finished. The model looks great, the animations are great, and we have first-person limbs for it. All we need to do is provide it with some new sounds.

What's next?If anything, we'll likely just be modifying its gameplay role somewhat. Clearly it will remain a large attack form that can take a load of damage, but we'll need to figure out ways to make it more interesting than that.

GrangerImageDesigned by:Khaos (concept)

Where is it currently?Early concept stages. We're still playing with shapes and color schemes, but it will likely end up looking very much like the image you see here. As you can tell, it pays quite a bit of homage to the original Tremulous granger, while still building off the old design. It's much more armored, but will still have those six beady, black eyes and will produce delightful gurgling sounds.

What's next?After the design is solidified, we'll put it through the modeling pipeline. It won't take much longer. The granger will still be an adorable building form, but like the other aliens, we may end up changing the way it functions.

VultureImageDesigned by:Khaos (concept)

Where is it currently?Extremely early planning stages. The general body shape will look like what you see above, but expect it to change abruptly. It will have a fairly even blend of insectoid and reptilian features. Obviously, it is going to fly.

What's next?Once we finish a design and model it, we'll have to fit it into our gameplay. The one thing we know for sure is that you won't be able to hover as one. Instead, expect to swoop around and deal with gravity. We might give it a wall-walk or at least a wall-cling ability to make it easier to deal with flight in corridors and making sneak attacks.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: Aliens of Unvanquished

Post by DwarfVader »

IMHO:
Looks very well. I realy do like your attempt to streamline the alien race and give it some sort of evolutionary "history"... is something similar planed for the human weapons as well ?
Points to consider:
1st person gun sights
weapon hands
battlesuit 1st person view
new weaponmodels witch could(should?) indicate ( maybee through a comon color sheme or logo?) that the human army is equiped by one or two major weapon manufacturers etc?
the hole human arsenal looks more unfinshed and "clued" together from different artists and releases than any other aspect of the game.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Yes to all of those except the gun sights. The human equipment is what we're also working on at the moment. You can expect updates on those soon, since we have a lot of unfinished work.

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

Like the marauder looks great but one thing your animation for the tyrant is lack luster. It's legs should have a little bit more stride to fit the speed it walks at. Same goes for the dragoon and other fast aliens. Right now the tyrant looks like it's waddling but somehow achieving mk10 speeds. other than that i like everything so far but your animations really need to be improved on. With all this wonderful development going on so far and the dedication put into this game I know you all can do better than that with the animations.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

IMO

That Basi is damn sexy. Matches with with the group, fits the gameplay style very well. Im really loving the skinny-ness of the body.

The Marauder Ummm it's interesting... Im not sure the face matches the style of the rest of the group, like the Dretch and the Tyrant type thing. Although the Dretch face and the Rant face are different they still convey the same look to them.

The Dragoon looks a lot like the original, just more awkward I think... Is it supposed to stand that tall? I feel like a Dragoon would be something like a predatory big-cat.... With the pounce and all... More of a hit and run type thing as the gameplay suggests...

Granger Heh Im glad you're staying with the original look and I really really love the more armored look.

Vulture: I didn't even know you guys were planning a flying alien, I love it! Very sweet concept art, just again with the face matching bit though. I take it the stinger is going to be the weapon?

Art Style: I like it, although the dragoon is the only one with a tail which is odd.... You'd think a wall jumping creature like the Mara would have a long tail for balance

Side note on gun sites, as I asked the question in my other tread but Im not sure how many people actually looked at it... why no plans? You have the beautiful iron and reflex sights built onto the models already

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Vulture: It's a PP-POKEMON! DAFAQ?!?
Granger: I don't really like the armour. I probably like Trem2's concept better, although theirs is sticking with the trem style...
Basi: I thought the whole design was going to be redone... still looks pretty much the same as before, only with better armour looks...
Rant: I think some animations still need smoothing. It still operates like a robot. It looks a whole lot better in his u2b vids though, so maybe its the person who imported it into the game's fault... Anyway, so far it's the only "original" model that i can think of that we have now...
Marauder: Uhh.... too hideous for me to comment on.
Dretch: Tremulous dretch actually had a hidden swipe animation, which never really worked for some reason. Maybe someone on the coding side can fix this, only then an attack animation would actually be useful. Also, the dretch model seems pretty un-original because it's just a spider with pincer mouth and six legs right now.

Overall: What these aliens now lack are common features. For example:

1. the dretch has no "hunch" that the granger has. In fact, somewhere on the tremulous' models there is a hunch. Even on the tyrant, only that's on the back of its head. Right now, it's like comparing horses to dogs whereas tremulous is like humans to primates.
  2. Models are almost completely unrelated in lots of ways. From hunched granger, to spider dretch, to um.... 4 legged rant? to a massive mite to a ??? to a massive dude with lots of limbs (tyrant).

@DwarfVader about 1st person sights:
I can do that. It just won't be officially supported though and only works on impure servers.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

WOW. As always. Great progress. I am really liking what I see here :D
Now with the reptilian features of the aliens it makes me want to create a more tropical environment on my map :) keep up the great work

danmal

Post by danmal »

WhiteTech wrote:

Side note on gun sites, as I asked the question in my other tread but Im not sure how many people actually looked at it... why no plans? You have the beautiful iron and reflex sights built onto the models already

We haven't implemented iron sights as our gameplay doesn't work well with them.

WhiteTech wrote:

The Dragoon looks a lot like the original, just more awkward I think... Is it supposed to stand that tall? I feel like a Dragoon would be something like a predatory big-cat.... With the pounce and all... More of a hit and run type thing as the gameplay suggests...

I don't believe he's been posed yet. He'll have a more natural stance in game.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Yeah, the dragoon hasn't been posed. That's just the raw model. The in-game model will be closer to the ground.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

ViruS wrote:

Vulture: It's a PP-POKEMON! DAFAQ?!?
Granger: I don't really like the armour. I probably like Trem2's concept better, although theirs is sticking with the trem style...
Basi: I thought the whole design was going to be redone... still looks pretty much the same as before, only with better armour looks...
Rant: I think some animations still need smoothing. It still operates like a robot. It looks a whole lot better in his u2b vids though, so maybe its the person who imported it into the game's fault... Anyway, so far it's the only "original" model that i can think of that we have now...
Marauder: Uhh.... too hideous for me to comment on.
Dretch: Tremulous dretch actually had a hidden swipe animation, which never really worked for some reason. Maybe someone on the coding side can fix this, only then an attack animation would actually be useful. Also, the dretch model seems pretty un-original because it's just a spider with pincer mouth and six legs right now.

Overall: What these aliens now lack are common features. For example:

1. the dretch has no "hunch" that the granger has. In fact, somewhere on the tremulous' models there is a hunch. Even on the tyrant, only that's on the back of its head. Right now, it's like comparing horses to dogs whereas tremulous is like humans to primates.
  2. Models are almost completely unrelated in lots of ways. From hunched granger, to spider dretch, to um.... 4 legged rant? to a massive mite to a ??? to a massive dude with lots of limbs (tyrant).

@DwarfVader about 1st person sights:
I can do that. It just won't be officially supported though and only works on impure servers.

Heh I was trying to be polite about the Mara.... but since it's out there, yeah it's bad. Doesn't fit the art style, awkward overall.

and I think the new Basi looks much much much different from the one we have now... The old one was supposed to be a mini Rant of sorts, and was pretty bad (no offence to the creater) this one is just plain amazing. In fact my favorite of the whole group. I the only parts I can see that are "similar" is the upright part and the bulge part, even so, the upright is different. Im not sure I could see it done any other way considering the role, unless you go back to the original Trem one, but then how does it grab on to its prey? Which is where the new amazing model comes in.

As for the 4 legged rant, that makes sense. As the rest are 6 legs, the rant just evolved into using 2 of the legs as arms therefore leaving 4 as legs.

The new Dretch is more like an insect whereas the new Granger is more reptilian. And does the Dretch need more then 6 legs and a mouth? Still very different from the original so it has it's own originality, I like it. I haven't seen Trem 2's concept granger to compare, but even as so the one we have here almost looks exactly like the original, just armored. I love it. There for it's still much like the Trem style. IMO it did exactly what they said, new, reptilian, and still paying homage to the original granger.

danmal wrote:

We haven't implemented iron sights as our gameplay doesn't work well with them.

I don't believe he's been posed yet. He'll have a more natural stance in game.

I see what you mean, but why go through the trouble of adding sights to the models?

As for the goon, I thought so, it still looks almost a mirror of the original which is good, considering I like the original quite a bit, but almost too similar. I'd change the head just a tad, give it more of the new Rant look with the mean teeth.

And a note on Alien attack "Indicators". We need to come up with a different way of showing an attack. Natural selection 2 has the jaws that close on the screen. It's horrible. Like why would the aliens eyes be in it's mouth? That's the first thought that comes to my head

For swiping aliens (Im thinking Rant is a good example), perhaps not the awkward arms that stick straight out on the screen. We don't need to see the whole arm. Something like how you only see part of the hands/arms on humans off to the side and are dynamic. The actual attack animation doesn't need to come right through the screen either.