Aliens of Unvanquished

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Aliens of Unvanquished

Post by kharnov »

None of the organisms are related to each other, and were originally from different worlds. The ant example you gave me was all the same species. So what if they all spawn out of the same egg? Why would we want to make different eggs for each alien type when you can simplify it? Some things are abstracted so that the game works. This is why a dretch can somehow expand into a tyrant in an instant.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

kharnov wrote:

None of the organisms are related to each other, and were originally from different worlds. The ant example you gave me was all the same species. So what if they all spawn out of the same egg? Why would we want to make different eggs for each alien type when you can simplify it? Some things are abstracted so that the game works. This is why a dretch can somehow expand into a tyrant in an instant.

Same species was the whole point. Because an Eagle doesn't come out of a Chicken egg. The evolution idea works better. Everything is already there, it's already called "evolve", they all come out of the same egg, and there's an evolution line between all of the aliens as it is. Ganger = worker ant, Tyrant = soldier ant.

Why the entirety of the game just to get your idea to work, when the evolution line makes more sense and is already in place? Why change the entirety of the game just to defend the odd looking Mara?

And who says they were from different worlds? You did? Why not say they're the same species, and save trying to fix the incredible amount of holes in it's very possibility.

As a result, you get

1: A matching art scheme, like they already are they look of the same species like they share a common base. (Except for the new Mara atm), it won'y look like a mash of peoples different ideas.
2: A better story muuuuch more believable story, why would all these random species from all over the universe join together to oppose the humans? (I haven't read the lore, but I can't imagine 20% of the people will ever). Even if they did they'd have to be pretty damn intelligent to make their DNA compatible with each other, so they can reproduce and the OM can control them. But then why don't they just make a bio weapon that targets humans.
3: Get to use the assets that are already in place in the game. Common egg, all the mathing models, mechanics, evo points, ect. No need to change a thing to get the abstract to work.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Reminds me of the stickman mutating into a tank.

@ Tyrants limbs: I see at least 8.

kharnov wrote:

In summary, let me make something clear. Our priorities are this: looking cool goes first, forming a logical explanation for everything else goes second.

Then you did an even worse job, in my opinion. It looks more evolutionary than 'cool' (in my honest opinion). The only classes I'm fine with now is rant and dretch, besides dretch being so spider-like and rant being crab-like.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

So I think the reasonable course of action would be to perhaps come up with some new concept Mara art. If people like it, then we can switch. If not I guess we'll use this one.

Generally the best judges, are the people who play it, more minds are better then few.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

THe current marauder isn't textured yet. Once you see colors, it will fit better. Also, the mesh itself isn't final. We will probably make adjustments based on feedback while still allowing the artist to maintain fidelity to his vision of the mara.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Ishq wrote:

THe current marauder isn't textured yet. Once you see colors, it will fit better. Also, the mesh itself isn't final. We will probably make adjustments based on feedback while still allowing the artist to maintain fidelity to his vision of the mara.

We'll Ive seen both concept texture drawings....

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

I think the mara we saw in the concept picture is extremely badass. The only one I don't really like is basi, but it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is wrong with it. Maybe the fat abdomen, or the slightly awkward posture. Basi should look and feel like an elusive, agile ninja imo.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

KenuR wrote:

I think the mara we saw in the concept picture is extremely badass. The only one I don't really like is basi, but it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is wrong with it. Maybe the fat abdomen, or the slightly awkward posture. Basi should look and feel like an elusive, agile ninja imo.

How much more f*cking ninja can ya get!
YEAH!

didn'tseehimuntillitwastoolate / 10

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Khaos is why we can have nice things.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Yeah, the basi is just too badass for anyone to handle :l Efffffing love it!