Aliens of Unvanquished

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Aliens of Unvanquished

Post by kharnov »

Actually, if you compare the marauder to the basilisk, you'll see that the head shape, claw position, and limbs are very similar. Also, both aliens have those little hooks on the ends of their rear limbs. The marauder is just bulkier, has more armor, and its posture is different. Both the basilisk and marauder concepts were done by the same artist.

You can look at the sequence this way:

Dretch -> Basilisk: limbs become longer, forelimbs are now used for cutting instead of movement, head separates from the body.
Basilisk -> Marauder: more body mass, armored plates on body, posture is changed so that the head is in front of the body instead of stuck upwards.
Marauder -> Dragoon: even more body mass, armored plates are more pronounced.
Dragoon -> Tyrant: huge increase in body size, armored plates now cover the whole body, limbs retain same general shape but are modified.

To be honest though, you can't really expect all the aliens to look like they are closely related to each other. That would be hard to do without putting a huge emphasis on realism, and we're more interested in things looking cool than strictly realistic. For a comparison, look at the old aliens. Seriously, look at Tremulous. Back then, you had what, this sequence?

Brown spider -> white reptilian thing missing a lower jaw -> red reptilian thing with both jaws -> dark blue bulky thing that now bites instead of slashes -> huge blue bulky thing that has an entirely different body shape and goes back to slashing

At the very least, we're going to be coloring our aliens on the gradient I described in the article, and they all have features going along that gradient too. They're not going to look like they all descended from the same organism, but as I've already covered, we're not going for that. We're prioritizing cool over realism. In the end, isn't that really all that matters?

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

How about the Marauder spew a stream of green corrosive acid (i.e. acid tube) at a shorter distance than Dragoon barb (and opposed to electric shock) that splatters on a surface, and Dragoon shoot an acid ball which impacts and explodes. Similar effects to poison on humans.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Vulture: Old concept, there is a newer
Granger: Uhh, it's got antenna now, guess the most recent hasn't been uploaded, also there's a big bug shell on it's back, not sure how it looks at all reptilian, it's pretty much a big beetle.
Basi: Looks wicked, nothing like the mini rant we currently have
Rant: Easily best model so far
Marauder: Looks awesomely scary, here's a skin I did whilst I was bored -> here
Dretch: Gud
Goon: Model makes it look bad, (just the positioning of the legs) it's supposed to somewhat look like this.

danmal

Post by danmal »

WhiteTech wrote:

I see what you mean, but why go through the trouble of adding sights to the models?

I'm not sure. I guess he thought they looked cool. I'd personally be in favour of removing the sights as it's a bit confusing that you have sights but you can't actually use them.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

kharnov wrote:

Actually, if you compare the marauder to the basilisk, you'll see that the head shape, claw position, and limbs are very similar. Also, both aliens have those little hooks on the ends of their rear limbs. The marauder is just bulkier, has more armor, and its posture is different. Both the basilisk and marauder concepts were done by the same artist.

You could argue that a Human as the same shape as a dog..... just need to put a nose on our chin and look up a bit and now you have a snout. It's the "same shape"

The Mara's face is almost perfectly flat. Look where the jaw is on the Mara, the length. Whereas the basi (and everything else) has a "snout". Rant and the new basi have a similar face, and it's great. That Mara really needs a re-work again.

Khaoz wrote:

Vulture: Old concept, there is a newer

Goon: Model makes it look bad, (just the positioning of the legs) it's supposed to somewhat look like this.

I'd be interested in seeing the new concept!

And that drawing makes the Goon amazing. Looks like your old Sig pic, Love it!

EDIT:
If we were to do a common theme with the jagged sticking out teeth of the Rant, I think it would with with the art style, covering the seams between artists. For instance the new Basi does that rather well. I can tell you how much I love that Basi.

EDIT2: Perhaps claw feet on the Granger? Just to give it a bit more reason to the ability to wall walk.

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

IDK WHY PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE MARAUDER!!!

Seriously at least it's body MAKES SENSE, Marauder has hops and wall jumps, those bunched up legs perfectly fit his physicality. The only thing that's really wrong about the Marauder is the face and the textures. Other than that his body is fine. Keep the Marauder please. It's the only model I find good, that and rant.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

We weren't expecting the aliens to be universally lauded, at least at first. There are bound to be those that prefer the old Tremulous models more, which is understandable, as those people have spent years with them. Really, the most I can say is to give the new models some time and to wait as they're textured, they're going to be a lot more appealing when they're not uncolored models or artwork.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

RustyNaps wrote:

IDK WHY PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE MARAUDER!!!

Seriously at least it's body MAKES SENSE, Marauder has hops and wall jumps, those bunched up legs perfectly fit his physicality. The only thing that's really wrong about the Marauder is the face and the textures. Other than that his body is fine. Keep the Marauder please. It's the only model I find good, that and rant.

We're mostly complaining about the face

kharnov wrote:

We weren't expecting the aliens to be universally lauded, at least at first. There are bound to be those that prefer the old Tremulous models more, which is understandable, as those people have spent years with them. Really, the most I can say is to give the new models some time and to wait as they're textured, they're going to be a lot more appealing when they're not uncolored models or artwork.

I'd agree, but it's only a single model we're really complaining about, and Khaoz did a concept texture and it still looked bad :l

The rest are amazing.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Some people say one thing looks fantastic, other people say the same thing looks terrible. Can't please everyone. :p

However, what we can assure you of is that all of the aliens will be of the highest possible quality. Even if you disapprove of some feature of their body plan, they will still look great on their own.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

kharnov wrote:

Some people say one thing looks fantastic, other people say the same thing looks terrible. Can't please everyone. :p

However, what we can assure you of is that all of the aliens will be of the highest possible quality. Even if you disapprove of some feature of their body plan, they will still look great on their own.

I completely agree with the matter of opinion. But so far more people have expressed against it, then people have liked it.

but now looking at facts..... The dragoon, which is next in line, has a very long snout, and the Basi before the Mara has one also.... And the Rant, and the Granger........ and non of them have a jaw like that.......... or eyes like that..........

Leading to my personal opinion, that it doesn't fit..... and i don't like it. Although I do enjoy the body and the claw feet. Im guessing the feet give it the ability to wall jump like it does, making a nice segway from wall crawling, to the pounce of the Goon, and finally to the nothing of a Rant....

Unregistered wrote:

How about the Marauder spew a stream of green corrosive acid (i.e. acid tube) at a shorter distance than Dragoon barb (and opposed to electric shock) that splatters on a surface, and Dragoon shoot an acid ball which impacts and explodes. Similar effects to poison on humans.

That does seem more "realistic", But IMO the electricity is waaaayyyyy cooler and it arcs from human to human ;)