On portability, linux support, trem2 and everything

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: On portability, linux support, trem2 and everything

Post by ViruS »

IMHO, having a donation button just temps devs to want money. I don't think having money involved or not would change how the developers perform, although it could improve their speed [like commercial games] but we're just a community who wants to revive similar gameplay to tremulous from my perspective.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yes, thank you. You have the right idea.

epicdude
Dretch

Post by epicdude »

ViruS wrote:

IMHO, having a donation button just temps devs to want money. I don't think having money involved or not would change how the developers perform, although it could improve their speed [like commercial games] but we're just a community who wants to revive similar gameplay to tremulous from my perspective.

yeap that is why millions play our "linux" games, and almost no one play Halo COD Doom Quake (in their time) Soliders of Fortune, Unreal Tournament and other games done by highly paid devlopers. They all flopped.

Wait... it's the opposite.

<N7Reaper> Put your whole fist in
<epicaldude> thats what urmooooom said

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Halo sucks. And I know that 10 trillion people play Linux games, and even more play Mac games.

Asvarox
Mantis

Post by Asvarox »

epicdude wrote:

yeap that is why millions play our "linux" games, and almost no one play Halo COD Doom Quake (in their time) Soliders of Fortune, Unreal Tournament and other games done by highly paid devlopers. They all flopped.

Wait... it's the opposite.

None of these games are open source nor free. All of these games were made by professional game studios by paid devs working full-time, promoted with costly advertising campaign. Developers of this game are a bunch of people that in most cases don't know each other outside virtual life, there's no contract or such binding them in any way. They just want to create a game. Involving money into such a group could easily end up with disaster - who would decide what to do with the money, how one could specify how much each person involved should be paid so everyone is satisfied?

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

Exactly. One Dev may want nothing, while another may want $300 a week to support themselves dependently.

Never works.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

It avoids the problem that nobody can solve properly: "How to redistribute this money?" :confused: , it's so comfortable. :rolleyes:

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

I was thinking that a donation button could be used for hosting/server costs. Having that paid for would allow for less financial involvement in the project.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Amazonian1515 wrote:

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Halo sucks. And I know that 10 trillion people play Linux games, and even more play Mac games.

How does Halo suck?

rocknroll237

Post by rocknroll237 »

This is very similar to the whole Nexuiz thingy... :rolleyes: