Xonotic Dev Introduction

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Samual

Xonotic Dev Introduction

Post by Samual »

Hey everyone, my name is Samual Lenks,

Many of you may already know me from the IRC channels, however for those who don't: I'm one of the lead developers (lead game coder and gameplay designer) of the fast-paced opensource first-person-shooter project named Xonotic. One of your guys (kharnov) came to us about a week or so ago in an attempt to get in contact with another opensource project, this enlightened us to the fact that you guys even exist (we're generally too busy to follow opensource news that is not entirely relevant to us normally) and I was delighted to hear that Tremulous is actually getting progress/a continuation.

Over this time, i've learned quite a bit about the project, and since I don't think we're in any way really competing games, i've decided it would be beneficial to help eachother out. There are several things i've already suggested/pointed you guys to try/use, and i've got plenty of ideas on things which would potentially be useful to you. For one example, i've been contemplating coding a function-hooking system for you guys so you can create a multi-game mode system. (I.e., this way, it'll possible to implement new game modes such as CTF or whatever you please with much more ease, and it strips out all the game mode-specific code from the common codebase.) We use this system in Xonotic (called the "mutator" system) which allows us to better manage and keep our code clean, and it allows for people to much more easily expand the gameplay without having to create a massive mod.

Additionally, I know several ways to improve the balancing of the game, and I can give plenty of advice on that. I have years of experience with it by now hehe. Maybe i'll also implement a dynamic system which uses configs to manage balance more properly, this way you don't need to recompile the game to make a simple damage change to a weapon or attack for example.

Anyway,
i'm always on IRC with the name "Samual" on irc.freenode.org on both #xonotic and now #unvanquished-dev, so feel free to contact me there if you want or email me at samual [at] xonotic [dot] org.

My team looks forward to working with your team :D - Hopefully our communities can both be helpful and constructive as well.

Happy fragging! (or killing or whatever you call it in your game...)

Kynes

Re: Xonotic Dev Introduction

Post by Kynes »

EDIT: I'm excited to see where this partnership goes. Also, I checked out Xonotic last week and had a blast, you guys have done a great job.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Welcome to our community.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Make yourself at home. We have fresh cookies!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Totally didn't expect this despite talking about unv on xonotic australia...
Btw, the game would be more fun for newbies like me and pretty much every game, i'm getting owned by harry_ftw or {SMB}Mario [And of course, his colourful text.].

Alors, welcome!

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

I love the spirit of open source games so very much :)

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Welcome Samual :)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

welcome indeed! :)

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

Fantastic! Welcome! :D

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

rocknroll237

Post by rocknroll237 »

Hey Samual, it's me rocknroll237 from Xonotic! ;)

I'm excited to see this partnership, hope it all goes to plan!

PS And there I was today on the Desura IRC channel saying how strange it was to see you there and now I discover this! Samual, you're everywhere on the internet...