Screenshots!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Re: Screenshots!

Post by E-Mxp »

I think that's because of the texturing of the map.

But why doesn't the Dretch have a shadow?

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

It looks horrible... you should do something with those textures

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Regarding the shadows: I have an antiquated graphics card, so I couldn't get the shadows just right. Thus I turned them off for the screenshots.

Regarding map textures: these are all Tremulous maps. Once people start making Unvanquished maps, with the increased support for various things, they'll look much better. For example, EmperorJack has been doing mapping work for Unvanquished. His maps will look better than the old Tremulous maps because they won't have the limitations imposed by the old engine.

Perhaps at some point, we can upgrade the textures on the old Tremulous maps, but that's not something that can be done through coding. Textures are stored as image files. You'd have to find higher resolution images, and it would be somewhat difficult to find the exact same textures used in the old maps. I'm not sure how you'd do that, but it's possible. Look at what Ingar did with ATCS HD.

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

Using r_picmip 0 and turning up r_ext_anisotropic_filtering helps with ground textures.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

kharnov wrote:

Perhaps at some point, we can upgrade the textures on the old Tremulous maps, but that's not something that can be done through coding. Textures are stored as image files. You'd have to find higher resolution images, and it would be somewhat difficult to find the exact same textures used in the old maps. I'm not sure how you'd do that, but it's possible. Look at what Ingar did with ATCS HD.

I know that, I'm not an idiot (well, maybe a little bit)
What I'm saying is that you should slowly replace Tremulous maps with new ones, but finding new textures shouldn't be too hard (they don't really have to be the same, they just need to be similar)
maybe I'll try doing that actually

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

KenuR wrote:

...but finding new textures shouldn't be too hard

Depends on what terms you want to distribute the map under; although you could certainly find textures faster if you included nonfree textures in your search, I think we'd like to avoid that. I honestly don't know how many free (as in freedom) texture repositories exist; I'm inclined to think this task would be a bit harder than one might initially imagine.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

velociostrich wrote:

Depends on what terms you want to distribute the map under; although you could certainly find textures faster if you included nonfree textures in your search, I think we'd like to avoid that. I honestly don't know how many free (as in freedom) texture repositories exist; I'm inclined to think this task would be a bit harder than one might initially imagine.

Well obviously they have to be free textures, there are loads of them, but it's hard to find the right ones.

Holy Elvindor

Post by Holy Elvindor »

I liked the way the blaster looks...
But... the shooting effect looks like a blue vortex?
That's a minor complaint though

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Holy Elvindor wrote:

I liked the way the blaster looks...
But... the shooting effect looks like a blue vortex?

How do you suggest the blaster should look when firing? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to ask for an opinion more than "it looks bad" (which is an entirely valid opinion to have).

Holy Elvindor

Post by Holy Elvindor »

You are right velociostrich
I guess I felt kinda shy to give new ideas
I don't know, looking again, is something that I certainly can get used to
Another option would it to be just straight flare lines but is very generic...