Unvanquished FAQ Thread!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Unvanquished FAQ Thread!

Post by kharnov »

If you've got a general question about anything (except tech support), feel free to ask in this thread! After we've got enough replies, I'll start editing the questions and answers into the first post.

Pedro

Re: Unvanquished FAQ Thread!

Post by Pedro »

Well, i would like to know what (which?) are Unvanquished aims, like if you are going to change Gameplay and balance, and how much, or if you are going to improve technic aspects or visual ones, etc.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Maybe you should create a locked thread listed of FAQs gathered here and such.
--Such as unvanquished's history, including the old qvm and its third race, and possibly tell the story of how this current unvanquished evolved from the GLOOM age and quake. story time!...
--Readme on how to install unvanquished
etc.
This could solve a lot of questions from being asked.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

To Pedro:

Ultimately, we intend on changing the gameplay and balance of both teams. Our first release has similar gameplay to the GPP version of Tremulous, and with each successive release, things will be changed further. The ultimate goal is that over a few years of changes, the game will no longer resemble the original Tremulous. As for technical aspects, we use a different engine than the one found in Tremulous. In regards to visual aspects, everything will be changed, as we have been working towards replacing all of the assets found in the original Tremulous. You can see some of our model work here: https://picasaweb.google.com/104009985595164250961

To ViruS:

This current incarnation of Unvanquished uses the same name as its predecessor and has most of the old Unvanquished developers working on it, but besides that, everything else is different. We do not intend on having a third race, at least not in the near future. As for technical support, we'll be posting readme files and other things both here and on the wiki.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

kharnov wrote:

To Pedro:
As for technical aspects, we use a different engine than the one found in Tremulous. In regards to visual aspects, everything will be changed, as we have been working towards replacing all of the assets found in the original Tremulous.

To clarify, most of the gameplay related code was taken directly from Tremulous, and as our engine (Daemon) is a Quake 3 derivative, we have a lot of commonality with Tremulous's modified ioquake3 engine.

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

vBulletin, our forum software, supports a FAQ feature, and in the custom portions of the site, adding a FAQ model isn't difficult

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Will there be a tutorial on binds?
How is darkradiant different from netradiant? Can netradiant be used to make maps for Unvanquished?
Are you really going to replace the granger model?

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

Will there be a tutorial on binds?

Probably. Heck, I just created a wiki page for that. Feel free to start editing it.

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

How is darkradiant different from netradiant? Can netradiant be used to make maps for Unvanquished?

I am not a mapper, but afaik Netradiant can be used. If I understand correctly, Darkradiant and Netradiant are both forks of GtkRadiant, and both work. Their user interfaces may be different; I do not know.

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

Are you really going to replace the granger model?

Yes, that is the plan.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

velociostrich wrote:

Probably. Heck, I just created a wiki page for that. Feel free to start editing it.

That's too confusing to read. Maybe there should also be a "wiki for dummies".
btw, quotes don't quote quotes?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Yes, quotes don't quote quotes. The last thing we need are quote pyramids taking up most of the page. There's a button right next to the quote author's name that redirects you right to the quoted post, if necessary.