Unvanquished FAQ Thread!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Unvanquished FAQ Thread!

Post by KenuR »

I know that maps can be created with either GTKradiant Netradiant or Darkradiant, but which program are your mappers using exactly?

Are you planning on replacing current guns/classes/buildings with different ones?

Are you planning on recruiting new people to work on the project?

Sixthly
Dretch

Post by Sixthly »

KenuR wrote:

I know that maps can be created with either GTKradiant Netradiant or Darkradiant, but which program are your mappers using exactly?

Sorry, I'm not too sure on the specifics with mapping tools. You'll have to wait for someone else to answer that.

KenuR wrote:

Are you planning on replacing current guns/classes/buildings with different ones?

Development of all models is overlooked by cron, one of the Unvanquished project heads. Regardless, I'll attempt to answer your question:

• Weapon models are being worked on by Stannum. The weapon models that you have seen so far are likely final.

• Alien models and the Human female model is being worked on by Gregorein. The Alien models that you have seen so far are still in development.

• Alien buildables and the Tyrant are being worked on by Dandoombuggy.

• Human buildables are being worked on by Harbringer_ and Fox_One.

• velociostrich is working on the new Battlesuit.

In our second alpha release (scheduled for April 1st) we plan to have (at least) the following new models/textures:

Check out our Picasa album to see some development shots: https://picasaweb.google.com/104009985595164250961

KenuR wrote:

Are you planning on recruiting new people to work on the project?

Yes. We are actively recruiting by advertising on various Internet forums. So far we have a new 2D artist and some casual (skilled) C/C++ contributors.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Sixthly wrote:

Sorry, I'm not too sure on the specifics with mapping tools. You'll have to wait for someone else to answer that.

Development of all models is overlooked by cron, one of the Unvanquished project heads. Regardless, I'll attempt to answer your question:

• Weapon models are being worked on by Stannum. The weapon models that you have seen so far are likely final.

• Alien models and the Human female model is being worked on by Gregorein. The Alien models that you have seen so far are still in development.

• Alien buildables and the Tyrant are being worked on by Dandoombuggy.

• Human buildables are being worked on by Harbringer_ and Fox_One.

• velociostrich is working on the new Battlesuit.

In our second alpha release (scheduled for April 1st) we plan to have (at least) the following new models/textures:

Check out our Picasa album to see some development shots: https://picasaweb.google.com/104009985595164250961

Yes. We are actively recruiting by advertising on various Internet forums. So far we have a new 2D artist and some casual (skilled) C/C++ contributors.

that's good, but I wasn't talking about models, I was talking about weapons/classes/buildables in general (for example, replacing pulse rifle with a lazer)

otherwise, those are very good news

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

ViruS wrote:

That's too confusing to read. Maybe there should also be a "wiki for dummies".

The wiki is at present editable by anyone. If that page is too confusing, we could certainly have a simplified page as well.

Sixthly wrote:

To give as specific an answer as possible:

• The alien buildables are being made by Dandoombuggy. At present, we also have an overmind and an egg model that may or may not be used that were created by CreativeReach when he was still a part of the project. Dandoombuggy is doing the high poly modeling, retopo, unwrap, and texture work, and at present I am animating the models he makes. So far, the only complete (in-game) alien buildable between the two of us is the trapper. I am currently animating the acid tube but export problems may result in it being exported as MD3 and not MD5.

• Every alien player model has been modeled, unwrapped, and textured by Gregorein with the exception of the granger (which as far as I know has not even begun to be worked on, but I do not know for certain) and the Tyrant, which has not been animated yet. The dretch has had high poly details added and retextured by Dandoombuggy, but there were problems in transferring the file between different software and it will have to be re-rigged and animated, which was being done by jm82792. Dandoombuggy is also at present working on adding high poly details to the Tyrant.

• All of the human weapons seen in-game have been done entirely by Stannum.

• The base female human player model has been modeled and unwrapped by Gregorein. Beyond that, I do not know how complete it is.

• The base male human player model has been modeled, unwrapped, and textured by angelbob.

• The human buildables have been worked on by a number of members of the team. As far as I know, every model has been created by f1rist19, and are being cleaned up and unwrapped by cron, but the armory is being (completely?) redone by Fox_One.

• We have a very high poly (in excess of several million polys) battlesuit model that I and jm82792 were working on retopoing and decimating, but the donor and source are dubious. It was eventually revealed that volt took it (in some degree) from a 3d tutorial site, claiming that the license permitted using it as we intend, but regardless I now intend on creating a new battlesuit model because the current one will require a considerable amount of effort to complete retopoing and will likely be hell to unwrap, rig, and animate.

I think that's everything.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Will dan be redoing the Dragoon? Because at the moment the current model is..............
Well you've all seen it. (also dans Tyrant looks friggin' awesome)

Also will the Basilisk no-longer be a smaller-looking version of a tyrant?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I don't see a link on that quote i did.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Khaoz wrote:

Will dan be redoing the Dragoon? Because at the moment the current model is..............
Well you've all seen it. (also dans Tyrant looks friggin' awesome)

Also will the Basilisk no-longer be a smaller-looking version of a tyrant?

A temporary retexturing job for the dragoon was being worked on by Stannum, and eventually I believe Dandoombuggy will do some high poly work on it.

The base tyrant was created by Gregorein and is being detailed by Dandoombuggy.

As far as I know, there are no plans to redo anything on the basilisk.

Demonkush

Post by Demonkush »

Will clientside modding be truly "clientside"? If you know what I mean.

EDIT: Also, how do I donate to your cause?

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

Is there a quick reference sheet anywhere of the exact planned changes between unvanquished and tremulous?

More evolution/reinforcement phases?
More alien types/weapon types?
Gameplay tweaks to health/damage?

Just curious so I have a quick reference of what to expect! :)

Lecavalier~
Dretch
Clan: Pk, Formerly DSPro

Post by Lecavalier~ »

When can we expect a nice, shiny beta?