Modular Environment Introduction

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
residentzack

Modular Environment Introduction

Post by residentzack »

First of all, hello Unvanquished Community, my name is Zack, I'm known as residentzack/thenegaverse but I'd prefer my real name to anything. I just recently joined the development team as an environment designer. I'm going to be responsible for mapping/modeling/texturing. I'll be designing environments and directing gameplay flow with the help of other team members and feedback from the players as well.

I want to start off with introducing modular set design to the maps in Unvanquished. I've played a few of the maps and think they are very well done. The thing is, the game is built with GTKRadiant and a lot of the maps are heavy with BSP geometry, which makes the maps look uniform with basic geometrical shapes. I'm looking to attempt a map with more static meshes arranged together in a theme that can be manipulated into many possibilities all with one uniform theme. I will start with a map concept that is a balance between both, as I am a bit unsure about how well GTK handles massive amounts of meshes in one map. Here is the quick concept I've painted up for this map. It could be a docking bay of sorts, not really sure about what I want the function of the level to be yet:

I've also already come up with a basic rendering of the glass railing I want in the scene:

I may break up the solidity of the flooring and create modular floor panels. I'll keep the poly counts low and begin texturing these set pieces so they can be added together to create an all new look for the maps in this game. I hope you all like the idea and I would appreciate any feedback. I'm used to working with UDK and only have a tiny bit of GTK experience [one of the other design teams I work with, Warsow, uses it]. Any help bridging the gap between these engines would be useful.

*I also realize that I painted the ceiling with a curve but forgot it in the end of the focal point. Just pretend the whole ceiling is arched haha.

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Re: Modular Environment Introduction

Post by JBiscuitz »

Welcome zack. It will be nice to see maps out of the norm for once and will help differentiate it from trem. Cant wait to see further updates!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Hey! Nice to see you here, Zack. I've set you to the developer group on the forums.

In regards to the maps, I agree strongly. A lot of the maps that we inherited from Tremulous are very blocky, and have shapes that all look the same, not to mention textures. Back during the Tremulous years, map designers had a tendency to reuse the same textures over and over again, leading to a bit of monotony in appearance. We hope to rectify this.

We're hoping to put together maps that not only take full advantage of the engine features in Unvanquished, but also have new sets of textures, and as you've mentioned, new geometries. I'd really love to see where this goes, and I'm very happy to welcome you to our development team and the community.

rhez
Dretch

Post by rhez »

Hello Zack! I see you've got some great potential as a developer. Nice of you to join our community!

_RRRR___H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
_R___R__H___H_E________Z__
_RRRR___HHHHH_EEEEE___Z___
_R___R__H___H_E______Z____
_R____R_H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
Now that's what I call a Rhez-olution.
Avatar image by Akele (CC BY-SA)

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Oh, by the way. Changing your user group seems to have accidentally removed your avatar. Sorry!

residentzack

Post by residentzack »

Alright, I'm going to work on those set pieces and if there is anything I need to know about implementing modular design in GTK, let me know. I want to know my limitations before I get ahead of myself. I'll start a thread in the dev forum once I get started. And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

Welcome Zack I am Jack (EmperorJack) I'm another mapper from the Unvanquished Team.

I'm going to take some interest in your idea of modular environment mapping. It seems like a feasible idea and could be very effective in terms of detail. Though I must stress some points such as: How will scale affect your work? How will you work with vis to optimise performance? Is clipping going to efficient?

Other than that it seems cool and I hope to see some good output. It is also good to see some talent from other projects, so welcome :)

EmperorJack

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Welcome Jack. When you say static meshes, do you mean to use convert to ase or obj meshes and reconstruct them in radiant? While that is definitely feasible, it'll be a PITA to manually handle vis.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Welcome, Zack! I'm looking forward to see your maps in action, love the concept :) Hope you'll be able to fight the "blockiness" of most bsp maps and make some very nice looking environments.
By the way, GTK is not the best way to call that map editor, because Gtk means GIMP toolkit and there are a lot of programs which names start with Gtk. Radiant, I guess, is the best way of calling it.
Good luck!

residentzack

Post by residentzack »

Sorry, I work primarily in UDK, and I have very little Radiant experience but I know the basics. In Warsow, I just create the textures for the maps, so I've only really built basic rooms. I would like to become acquainted with the Unvanquished engine and its limitations. Also, where can I get a build for the game? I have radiant installed, but I need the game configuration.