What should playing Unvanq. *feel* like?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
SeanCJ

What should playing Unvanq. *feel* like?

Post by SeanCJ »

Hey everyone,

I'm an old-time Tremulous player (not particulary good :P) - though I guess most have seen me from the Unv - IRC channel by now (or perhaps in game - Super Dupont saw me stumble around as a Granger yesterday evening :P ).

Anyway - long story short, I'm really keen on seeing a game with elements from Trem, and I'm already having fun with Unvanquished. A big question that has sprung up for me though is what people (I guess especially you devs, but also anyone in general) would like the game to feel + play like?

I guess I'm asking, because from experience with other games, people often discuss balance or mechanics, but I feel often the disagreement is more fundamental ( -> or put differently, it would be easier - and perhaps important! - to get a clear idea on the fundamental vision first). So - how do you want to feel when you're playing the game on the Human team, how should it feel on the Alien team? What kind of dynamics would you like to see for an average game ?

P.S. I have my opinions, and happy to share (have already on IRC :P), but I'll wait for replies first here.
P.P.S. - thanks to Illwieckz for "unblocking" my IP :P !
SuperDupont
Dretch

Re: What should playing Unvanq. *feel* like?

Post by SuperDupont »

I redacted an answer, but seems lost...
May be I didn't see the message about my IP in the RBL for this message.
SuperDupont
Dretch

Re: What should playing Unvanq. *feel* like?

Post by SuperDupont »

I will try to answer, with my finest fluent English.

You should sit down.

I'm an old-time Tremulous player too. I wasn't good too, and my computers don't allow me to play with high setting. But still funny.

I like the difference between Aliens and Humans.
Humans can equip, with weapons, accessory, armors... but Aliens evolve or devolve to different forms, with different ability.

I also like that you need to take care about resources (but not yet ammunition). Resources for buildings are limited and precious. And, resources for equip and evolve depends of your ability to annihilate enemies.
I like how Drills and Leech interact together, and how they are part of the strategy.

You must try to stay alive, or to made enough against enemies before die. We can resume it on : Don't feed enemies.

Sometime, more powerful building can be also more vulnerable buildings. Like Turrets Pods who don't fire on Humans or Human's buildings, and need be protected, with Guns Turrets for example.

Another difference, is that Aliens can almost go around alone, and can fee more easily. But Humans, at the beginning, are vulnerable and slow, and won't survive alone with Alien encounter.

So, for beginner, it's easier to join the Human team, and use the riffle (SMG). And training for other weapons.
Of course, beginners should also learn to be Aliens, but each forms require different skills. It's not easy.

And, of course, this game need coordination and communication in teams.

What I don't like?
The super large hit box for almost all buildings, and Aliens.
Too easy to hit the small Dretch. And, you can hit Acid Tube when you don't see it.
The same, for Humans buildings, you will easily destroy Turrets when you fire over them...

And, a small Dretch can immobilize the big Tyrant too..
I remember in Tremulous, as Dretch, you always be away from larger Aliens, to don't be crushed.