new human animations

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Re: new human animations

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

You can indeed run with the weapon shouldered. However, when not firing the weapon, it's natural to have it at waist level when running. Also, it's difficult to aim while running. Is it possible to have two different running animations? One with weapon shouldered and other one with weapon at waist level? May be move weapon to shoulder while running when firing the weapon?

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

You can indeed run with the weapon shouldered. However, when not firing the weapon, it's natural to have it at waist level when running. Also, it's difficult to aim while running. Is it possible to have two different running animations? One with weapon shouldered and other one with weapon at waist level? May be move weapon to shoulder while running when firing the weapon?

Agreed, but it will look a bit dodgy when using guns like MD if you're not holding down the button. A lot of people don't use zoom and fire constantly, so i think the animation would have to be a constant shoulder type otherwise they'd be constantly switching animations mid-battle.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Well, on my side it's not very hard to add one more animation, but i don't know about the technical part of the question. cast `Ishq here :)

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

When you are in combat situation, the weapon should be constantly at shoulder; regardless of whether you are running or not. If switching animations in the middle of combat is a problem, there could be a timer for the weapon to be at shoulder position. If you continue firing within that time, the animation is fixed with the weapon at shoulder; when you stop firing, you still have the weapon at shoulder position until the timer is up, then the weapon is moved back to waist level.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

When you are in combat situation, the weapon should be constantly at shoulder; regardless of whether you are running or not. If switching animations in the middle of combat is a problem, there could be a timer for the weapon to be at shoulder position. If you continue firing within that time, the animation is fixed with the weapon at shoulder; when you stop firing, you still have the weapon at shoulder position until the timer is up, then the weapon is moved back to waist level.

This makes sense. Rest position to firing position should be instant. thumb up

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

not an animation, but still looking good - fully equipped human surrounded by new turrets http://imgur.com/TZNCy,d6iVO

Dandoombuggy
Modeler

Post by Dandoombuggy »

Looking badass. Is that tearing underneath his arm or just a bit of texture stretching?

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Can't say now, i've broken animations again and can't export them at the moment, so there is no way i can check it again, sorry.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

gavlig wrote:

Can't say now, i've broken animations again and can't export them at the moment, so there is no way i can check it again, sorry.

I started to look at the .blend as per your request (via `Ishq) and I can't really see anything terribly wrong, except I do see that a lot of your IK control bones for the eyes and hands have corresponding vertex groups, and some of which actually have weights. I would go through and delete those to start. Also, I see that you have the IK control bones and the actual rig bones on layer 5; you should move the IK bones off of that layer. Oh, and one other thing: I see that the eyelid bones (and likely others) have subdivisions; this is a feature not supported by MD5, so I don't know how that affects the export.

EDIT: Also, you're using bone envelopes on several of the armature modifiers, which is also not supported by MD5 and is likely causing trouble.

jm82792
Animator

Post by jm82792 »

I feel for you guys. I spent like 2 hours ripping my hair getting the turret to correctly export. I in the end have concluded what is standard for Blender will not easily work for exportation to the engine; without some finagling, force, and frustration.
However, once things are clarified, and we know what not to do then perhaps things will have far less surprises and mysteries.