Testing the 0.52 Release Candidate

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Testing the 0.52 Release Candidate

Post by illwieckz »

freem wrote:

be able to have multiple versions installed side-by-side, which will prove useful as time goes on, since mods and maps may become incompatible at some point with future releases.

It's not the future we want. Well, we want it to be technically possible and it is, there is -homepath, -libpath, etc.

But this is to make possible to run multiple standalone games with a single engine build, not to have each mod split the player community. We're not delivering to console cartridges, it's expected the project is alive and any version is not written in stone.

Opensourceness exists for making possible to migrate data and code, this also means opensourceness exists for making possible to fix or improve actual stuff with future means that do not exist yet.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

illwieckz wrote:

Out of curiosity, is your GPU listed there? wiki:GPU compatibility matrix :smile:

No, but one that is very similar. Mine is a HD 530 as part of a i7-6700HQ mobile CPU.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

poVoq wrote:
illwieckz wrote:

Out of curiosity, is your GPU listed there? wiki:GPU compatibility matrix :smile:

No, but one that is very similar. Mine is a HD 530 as part of a i7-6700HQ mobile CPU.

I see, I assume you can do 60+ fps on 1920×1080 resolution with medium profile, do you confirm? Would you be able to paste the output of /gfxinfo command in game (would be displayed on terminal console as well for easy copy/paste) as well as glxinfo | grep 'Video memory' from a terminal, plus tell me the laptop brand? This way I would have complete informations to add to a new line in that compatibility matrix. :smile:

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

80-120fps on medium settings.

Code: Select all

GL_VENDOR: Intel                                                                                                              
GL_RENDERER: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2)
GL_VERSION: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.0.3
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 4.60
GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS 16384
Using OpenGL 3.x context Using GPU vertex skinning with max 256 bones in a single pass

and

Code: Select all

Video memory: 3072MB

But I have the slight suspicion that the video memory might come from the build in Optimus Nvidia 970m that I have not used for these tests (no need for Unvanquished).

The Laptop brand is a "Tuxedo (Clevo) P641RE" running Manjaro Linux (Kernel 5.12 and Mesa 21.0).

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

poVoq wrote:

80-120fps on medium settings.

Excellent!

But I have the slight suspicion that the video memory might come from the build in Optimus Nvidia 970m that I have not used for these tests (no need for Unvanquished).

I also got 3GB of video memory on similar Intel chip without Nvidia card being there at all (like a HD 520 (i3-6100U) in an Intel NUC), so that sounds right to me!

I added your test results on the GPU compatibility matrix.

k0pernicus

Post by k0pernicus »

Hi,

I just tested the latest build on macOS (Apple Silicon with Rosetta 2), and got the following error message at launch: "Could not load default base pak 'unvanquished'".

To reproduce, I downloaded the build, extracted game from the macOS archive, and made sure that the .app is next to the 'pkg' folder.
Then, launching the .app archive made pop up the error message.

Is there anything wrong with the path(s) of the 'pkg' folder?

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

k0pernicus wrote:

Hi,

I just tested the latest build on macOS (Apple Silicon with Rosetta 2), and got the following error message at launch: "Could not load default base pak 'unvanquished'".

To reproduce, I downloaded the build, extracted game from the macOS archive, and made sure that the .app is next to the 'pkg' folder.
Then, launching the .app archive made pop up the error message.

Is there anything wrong with the path(s) of the 'pkg' folder?

Hu… that bug is super weird. I just got it on x86_64 mac…
But when I ran the Unvanquished.app/Contents/MacOS/unvanquished.sh it worked
and after that double-clicking on the icon worked as well…

Can you try this? At least to validate Rosetta 2?

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Well, the first time, I tried it with the unvanquished_* folder on Desktop. But before running it from command line, I moved it to Home from command line, and to move it from Desktop to Home, I got a pop-up telling me the Terminal application tried to access the Desktop and I was asked to allow the Terminal application to access the Desktop… Maybe there is a very special thing about the Desktop. Did you ran it with the unvanquished folder (the one extracted from zip and containing Unvanquished.app) was on Desktop on your side as well?

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Yes, I reextracted it on the Desktop and from there it does not work.

Edit: from command line I can run it when stored on the Desktop as well, but even after that I can't run it from the finder when stored on the desktop.

k0pernicus

Post by k0pernicus »

Just for information about macOS, an issue has been created yesterday by @illwieckz: https://github.com/Unvanquished/Unvanqu ... ssues/1403.
After a few trials, it seems that it is an issue with the quarantine attribute (as it is not a release version).

About running the game on my macbook air M1 about 45 minutes +/-: runs constantely in 120 FPS and fit easily in my 8GBytes machine (with XCode, 2 iOS simulators, and a few other softwares running in the background).
Sensors were about 45 degrees (Celsius) at max (machine is fanless).
Absolutely no issue at all: everything was fine & smooth.

Everything is great via Rosetta 2.
Very good job guys, thanks!