Humans are complementary. What about aliens?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Re: Humans are complementary. What about aliens?

Post by Gireen »

Aliens can cooperate as Adv Goon sniping and Tyrant defending/blocking enemys Adv Marauder can harass zap and depleate laser weapons or jetpack i think.
and in 0.52 the granger can trapp enemys

fear ma engrish :granger:

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Tyrant will also prevent the goon to flee. Or the goon will prevent tyrant to attack or retreat.

Most corridors are wide enough for both only doors are the bottleneck. It requires some teamwork to be efficient but it can work quiet well.

Barbs takes ages to regenerate, and humans have bigger range and higher DpS. I personally put myself between a goon's barb and mgturrets when there's an attack, because even a single miss of the turret means, turret is saved, and it's very, very unlike I'll take 2 barbs, so medkit can easily kick in.

How effective adv dragoons are is probably a different topic :tongue:

I still think aliens can hardly work together, especially considering the fact their main attacks are melee, and that they will often hit their friends.

I think it requires just more practice. But necessarily-equals pr could also improve this

fear ma engrish :granger:

Dracone
Dretch

Post by Dracone »

Aliens and humans have differences in optimal communication/coordination that differ in somewhat creative ways. Aliens do run into space issues, but everything then revolves around positional tactics, timing, and watching their health. Humans don't have the same space concerns amongst themselves, but target prioritization is key or else they don't eliminate threats quickly enough, something that isn't as important for aliens since they're stronger if they divide and conquer, not to mention the risks of attacking the same target and interfering in some way with your teammates.

It's always been this way on some level since back in Tremulous, just from the core gameplay ideas. Humans have the easier time of communicating or reading a situation with regard to what they should be aiming at, but at the same time they get punished to more of an extreme for the slip-ups that can still happen in that department and are more prone to panic since they're fundamentally more "organized". Aliens need to be more in sync and make varied decisions on the go, but their abilities contribute well towards disruption and each member being able to make decisions on what they're doing, which oddly enough means that an alien team fighting well looks less like a hivemind than the humans do.

Your original point is still valid though, since the aliens don't have as much reason to be complementary on the "loadout" level as humans might. I just have to imagine it's a tough problem in terms of design because of the tactical differences I mentioned.