If you have trouble registering or do not receive a verification e-mail, please ask for help in chat.

Here are some things I hope we can acheive in 0.52.0

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.

Do you like these goaqls?

Yes
50%
Kinda
50%
No
No votes

Total votes: 2
Derek
Clan: KING

Here are some things I hope we can acheive in 0.52.0

Postby Derek » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:10 pm UTC

1. Easier Public server hosting - add join by I.P.
2. Fix Spectating (for tournaments etc.)
3.add missions/story lines
4. get more audience
5. more voice ques/quips (I can do voice acting)
6. enable passworded lobbies to work
killing time
Programmer

Re: Here are some things I hope we can acheive in 0.52.0

Postby killing time » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:04 pm UTC

1. You can join by IP using the in-game console:

Code: Select all

/connect 1.2.3.4

Also, if you install using the Windows or Linux updater, it creates a protocol association which allows you to open URLs of the form unv://1.2.3.4 in a browser, which can be seen in action at https://unvanquished.net/servers.

2. What do you mean, what's wrong with spectating?

6. The server password implementation is admittedly kind of dumb (for example entering the password stores it a cvar, which can then by read by any other servers you connect to), but it is at least possible to use now.
Derek
Clan: KING

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 pm UTC

Turning on the chase cam is the issue

https://wiki.unvanquished.net/wiki/Spectating

I made a wiki post on making keybinds for it so it's not much.

could you elaborate more on the password part
killing time
Programmer

Postby killing time » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:21 pm UTC

The command for toggling first-person follow / chase follow / free-float is 0.51.1 is +button2. There is no bind menu entry for it.
In 0.52 the command will be something else, I forget what, but there will be a bind menu entry for it.

A server owner can require a password for all players by setting g_needpass to 1 and g_password to the password.
A server owner can have some password-protected slots while leaving others open by setting sv_privatePassword and <some other cvar that controls the number of private slots>.
In either case, the user must set the `password` cvar to get in.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 am UTC

Derek wrote:1. Easier Public server hosting - add join by I.P.
2. Fix Spectating (for tournaments etc.)
3.add missions/story lines
4. get more audience
5. more voice ques/quips (I can do voice acting)
6. enable passworded lobbies to work

1) agree, would be easier, but requires mostly documentation, not UI changes, because servers should not, in my opinion and for their owner's sake, be hosted by unwary people. Internet is *not* a friendly place, at all, and exposing a weak server does not only exposes you, but makes you a zombie to attack better defended servers.

2) I agree that spectating requires fixes. There are some in 0.52, and a regression about spec-team-chat was recently discovered and published.

3) would be great to have a PvE mode! There were, but they were a bit easy, no real challenge for seasoned players, notably. I would also enjoy a mod with "humans have to accomplish a goal in 15 min. Then it's aliens which have to do it. Then swap teams, and repeat." with objectives which unlock specific doors and the like.
There was such mods in Unreal Tournament GOTY 2K, and I really enjoyed them, even playing solo (no net for me at that time)

4) we all want more...

5) one of the 2 reasons I voted "kinda". Because, it would be nice, yes, but it's not easy at all to have good voice acting.

6) 2nd reason. I don't see the point, here, and we lack players anyway. Closed games won't help, especially since there's no lobby right now.

Return to “General Discussion”