Weapon names

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Weapon names

Post by kharnov »

There's a small, cosmetic feature I'd like to add, in the form of how weapon names are displayed in-game. Right now, you just see things like "SMG" or "Mass Driver", but that has always felt so bland to me. What if, on the buy menu, you could select from the "EM-7 Lasgun" or the "M40 Chaingun"?

As an added touch, when new assets come out for something, they can be treated as an upgraded model. For example, the current lasgun could be the EM-7 Lasgun, and the replacement model can become the EM-8 Lasgun.

I could come up with a consistent naming scheme and make the commits myself if nobody minds. Then I could do it for all the buildings too. Maybe I can come up with species names for the aliens.

lamefun
Tyrant

Re: Weapon names

Post by lamefun »

Blaster - Trash Co. BP-2 Snailgun
Lasgun - OnlySane(R) Sanegun(TM) Mk. II
Pulse Rifle - Trash Co. AP-6 Snailrifle
Lucifer Cannon - Trash Co. G-2 Uselesscifer Cannon

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

:cyclops:

Cajunfiend
Dretch

Post by Cajunfiend »

There were some cool names on an old tremulous map, if I remember right. All I can remember for sure is the "Don't Eat the Sausage" painted in blood. Maybe somehow we could incorporate some default tremulous or quake names? I like his Trashco idea!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I think this could also achieve the opposite of what's desired – make the weapons less unique. I won't veto this though, naming stuff is your domain. :wink:

If you do this, maybe give the projectile weapons a different naming scheme than the futuristic ones. Also, don't rename aliens that are basically the same as their Tremulous version without a good reason. People might find this pretentious.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

I agree with Viech.